Anyone have nest boxes only in run?

jennyf

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Missouri
I have a small raised coop with a run around it that is very sheltered (side of house with an overhang). In order to give them max coop space, is there any reason the nest box can't be attached externally under the coop, but not IN the coop? Anyone do this? Just 2-3 chickens and one nest box.

I got 3 nesting boxes in the roofed run and my new layers used them last year until closed to winter then they started using the nests in the coop with the older hens. I don't think it should be a problem as long as it's protected from the elements.

Last edited:
St. Louis, so not warm winters, but its tucked into the overhang of the garage, with human door access (from the garage) right there...

St. Louis, so not warm winters, but its tucked into the overhang of the garage, with human door access (from the garage) right there...
Might work...not much different than an exterior nest with access from inside the coop.
Oh, except for the access from inside the coop part ;).
If the area is sheltered enough thru winter so they always have access even during the worst winter storms, it should work ok.

Can you post pics of the situation?

Yep! The circle is where I'm thinking I'd attach it, under the coop attached to the underside. Just trying to save space inside--because we were supposed to be keeping 2-3 chickens and now kids are begging to keep one more... There's an automatic door so they have access to outside both early and late.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    5 MB · Views: 6
I would not add another bird to that setup, wait until you get thru your first winter.
It's already rather small and integrating more birds is a whole another learning curve that goes much better with more space than that.

I suppose the nest would work under there, but it's not that well protected of an area.
Can you post a pic from farther back to see the whole coop/run?
Any plans for winterization...and how much snow do you get?

Oh, not adding any birds--no integration will be occurring! There are 6 7 week olds in there now. I figured we'd make sure no roosters (or mortality), but my intention is to rehome 3 of those 6 to a friend. Last year it snowed just twice--a few inches each time.

Oh, not adding any birds--no integration will be occurring! There are 6 7 week olds in there now. I figured we'd make sure no roosters (or mortality), but my intention is to rehome 3 of those 6 to a friend. Last year it snowed just twice--a few inches each time.
Ooohhh, so sorry, I misread 'keeping one more' as 'getting one more'.

Back
Top Bottom