Anyone have new chicks coming?

LaPetiteFarmer

Songster
Feb 9, 2012
Vista, CA
MPC are sending mine (7) on the 13 of June. I am a bit terrified because they are my first chicks and I am so scared to lose one.
I was wondering what people do with them when they don't make it... do they burried them or put them on the garbage
?
I have been waiting for months now, so I am really hoping they will all arrive alive and healthy.... and without any rooster lol

Jakoda

Songster
Apr 12, 2012
Old Lyme CT
I am a paranoid momma so I check butts all the time, mine so far are all ok, and poops look good:)

poulette, one of mine passed pretty fast after I received them yesterday, i wrapped her up in a cloth, put her in a plastic bag and buried her:(

Mine are still wild little chickies tonite, so hoping they stay that way:)

JML72

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2012
Mine are also more quiet than I imagined they'd be. Some mild "contented" peeping sounds - and of course when I wipe butts they scream like I'm pulling their toes off... but overall they're quiet when they're in there alone. Here's to hoping they continue that trend as they grow!

LaPetiteFarmer

Songster
Feb 9, 2012
Vista, CA
I am a paranoid momma so I check butts all the time, mine so far are all ok, and poops look good:)

poulette, one of mine passed pretty fast after I received them yesterday, i wrapped her up in a cloth, put her in a plastic bag and buried her:(

Mine are still wild little chickies tonite, so hoping they stay that way:)
I am sorry for your little one, I cannot imagine how I would feel if this happen:( but I think I would buried it too.

Adenium

Songster
Jan 28, 2012
Connecticut
My first ever chickens hatch Monday June 11 and will be coming via MyPetChicken. We've had such nice cool weather, but now I hear it's supposed to heat up next week. Argh! I hope the little babies don't overheat.

We placed the order in February, and my sister got chickens in April and May, so it's been excruciating waiting for ours. I wish I knew how many days it would take. I would love to get them Tuesday!

Glad I'm not the only one STILL waiting.

jojomojo

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2009
NW New Mexico
We just got our first ever chickies yesterday from MPC
Unfortunately, one did not survive the trip (black copper marans). A couple are pasting up, so we've been doing chickie butt baths. Other than that, all are doing great.

zooweemama

Songster
Apr 17, 2012
Far Northern California
I keep reading about pasty butt. I am getting my chicks from a local breeder- pick up not shipped. They are 1 week old. Will this lessen my chances of pasty butt? I will have to go read her notes but she said 95 degrees and drop it 5 degrees each week until it hits outside temps. BUT in a week it's going to be 100 degrees outside. LOL This coming week it will go from 90 to 90 then 100 all in the space of a week. By mid-June we are usually dealing with upper 90s and by July steady triples. So will they only be under the lights for a week then off? They will be in my house until they get bigger and I keep it 76 in here.

Top Bottom