Anyone have new chicks coming?

I know the feeling. I was a bit overzealous in setting up the brooder. Spent a lot of time fiddling unnecessarily because I am so excited to get them and only have motivation to do chick-related things until they get here. BYC is chick-related, so it's an allowable activity
big_smile.png

Poulettes and chippie - what are you getting and from where? We ordered a Barred Rock, a Partridge Rock, a Buff Orpington and 4 Silkies in white, black, and red. The silkie availability is what led to such a long wait - they were unavailable until months out.
We ordered from My Pet Chicken a RIR, one australop, one red star, one barred plymouth rock, one easter egger bantam, one white silkie, and one golden spangled hamburgs. The wait was so long because of the silkie and the golden spangled hamburgs. Now I just hope they won't turn rooster (I paid extra for pullets but with bantams it's tough though)

Sounds like a very nice mix! Lucky you to get the easter egger - I had a long drawn out battle with my husband to add the large fowl and by the time I had "permission" the EE's were gone.

When I spoke to MPC they mentioned that the Silkies tend to hatch or be processed in the afternoon. Now I'm paranoid they didn't hatch until late and so the order might only go out today - they do say they hatch and ship on Monday/Tuesday. I wish they gave confirmations, though I know that would be complicated with such huge numbers on hatch days and the fact that they're brokers only.

I'm willing our shipments to move quickly - visualizing them speeding in opposite directions from Ohio!

I initially wanted on standard easter egger but made a mistake choosing the bantam. However now I think it's better because the silkie won't be the only little one.
Why don't you call your hatchery to ask them for the tracking number? Mine are still in Cleveland, but the usps website says they should arrive today... hopefully they are right!

Wait, if you ordered from MPC how did you get a tracking number? They say on the website that tracking and confirmations aren't available! Only if it's Thursday and you haven't gotten them yet, then they coordinate with the actual shipping hatchery (Meyer in Ohio is what they told me) to figure it out.

I didn't know that. They hatched yesterday (my guess), and as soon as I woke up I call without hesitation and ask them for the tracking number and they gave it to me with no question. You should call.

I just placed the order for mine! They will ship out the 27th and I have already called the post office to call me when they arrive... I had to tell the post office lady that I would call and remind her a few days before they shipped LOL.

I ordered from Ideal Poulty and am hoping it was a good decision! We are getting some turkeys and meat chickens as well, but I am most excited about our new little layer girls

We already have 4 buff orpingtons, 2 ameraucana, 1 light brahma, 1 production red, and 1 *supposedly* welsummer (but we have never gotten a dark brown egg). They were all adult hens when we got them in April. We have not raised baby chicks for at least 20 years!

My new hens are 2 each of Black Australorp, Rhode Island Red, Spangled Russian Orloff, Speckled Sussex, Welsummer, Ameraucana, Salmon Faverolle, Silver Laced Wyandotte and 4 white Leghorns! I can't wait to get the little powder puffs and I sure hope they all arrive in good shape, but that is why I ordered 2 of each, just in case.

I am making myself wait (rather impatiently LOL) to set up the brooder until a week before they arrive, but have been gathering up the supplies for them already LOL.

Waiting patiently for me is cleaning entire house, changing sheets and doing all the linens, cleaning out garage and biting all my finger nails. I am now pacing. Would work on the run but its raining.

I wanted to set up the brooder 2 weeks in advance. My husband told me I'm crazy. We set up last night and this morning.

MPC did just give me a tracking number, but there are only updates from the USPS through last night. They suggested I could call the PO and ask if perhaps I could track the package to a nearby center and just drive there and pick them up, but I just called and my PO's internet is down. Still holding out hope for the 3pm delivery...the tracking page says guaranteed by 3pm, which is now. I'm hoping a truck arrives soon. Pitty pat pitty pat goes my heart......

Thanks poulettes for the heads up on tracking. MPC was very nice - I just explained I have a paranoid husband and they located my number nice and quick. Bless them.

Back
Top Bottom