crazychickenlady724

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2018
Hubert, NC
So...I'm pathologically curious. What would a chicken with the mottled, pattern, AND barred genes look like? Anyone have Pictures? Google has failed me. I may do a side breeding project just to satisfy my curiosity...

Accordng to what I've found.... a black mottled roo over a barred hen would give barred males and black females. This would be a sex link.
A barred roo over mottled hen would give barred offspring.

Accordng to what I've found.... a black mottled roo over a barred hen would give barred males and black females. This would be a sex link.
Playing with the chicken calculator last night/this morning, I managed to get a chicken with all three genes. I started with a BR roo and a BLRW. Then I added a mottled chicken. Through at least one generation of back breeding, I managed to get the possibility of all three in one chicken. I'm curiouuussss...

Wouldn't a black mottled roo not be able to give the barred gene and the barred hen ONLY be able to give the barred gene? So wouldn't both male and females from that pair be barred? And then, the mottled gene is recessive, so wouldn't all of that mix be barred, split mottles?

Wait a minute...let me think...this is like calculus in my head...

If the hen is barred, it can only pass the barred gene to males. So the females wouldn't show barring.

So you're right. It would be sex linked. All barred males that are heterozygous barred and split for mottled. All black hens that do not have the barred gene but do have the mottled gene. So if you then bred that first generation to each other you would get some barred males with the two recessive copies of the mottled gene. So it would be possible to get barring and mottled by the 3rd generation. Then add in a laced hen for the pattern gene.

Playing with the calculator, I got a Lavender Patterned Buff Incomplete Double Laced/Half Spangled Barred Pied/Mottled.
I want to know what it would look like! LOL

Back
Top Bottom