Anyone here cook racoon?

I have a question...how can you tell if it is diseased/rabid or not?? The only reason I ask is because I recently read that racoons are the #1 carriers of rabies, but maybe it all "cooks out!?"
roll.png
I really don't know....

GlitterBug wrote: I have a question...how can you tell if it is diseased/rabid or not?? The only reason I ask is because I recently read that racoons are the #1 carriers of rabies, but maybe it all "cooks out!?" I really don't know....

Check with your DNR (State Wildlife Agency) to find out what they know about incidence/prevalence in your area. Here, in MO, they can carry Parvo/Distemper but only very rarely Rabies. If all droppings in trap are diarrhea/coon `looks'/acts `unthrifty' - harvest and deliver to turkey vulture feeding station.

Since I open up all harvested preds (like to know what/how much they've been eating), anyway, it isn't that much of an effort (after gutting/remove head/tail/paws) to place carcass in plastic bag and toss in freezer until almost frozen. This makes removal of hide much easier (like to use the wife's Joyce Chen sewing/utility scissors - as good as any surgeon's snips). Also immediately remove scent glands under fore legs and along spine near small of back (when gutting get the picky glands) DO NOT cut into glands. Soak in brine/white vinegar overnight at room temp. Back in freezer until nearly frozen (makes cutting away fat - toss out/chopping meat into chunks easy. Saute meat chunks in small amount of oil. Cool meat, place in double plastic bag and freeze. Repeat process with every coon until we have enough coon to can (2.5lb. per qt. - 6 qt. Mirromatic Pressure Cooker). Beef broth/a little cheap Merlot/half a cup of coffee for a base add meat, heat the `soup' - bottle up - 15psi x 1hr.45min.

Pretty tasty with noodles or rice (not as good as Snapping Turtle).

Never have prepared any other way.

ed: clarity​

Last edited:
Quote:
Check with your DNR (State Wildlife Agency) to find out what they know about incidence/prevalence in your area. Here, in MO, they can carry Parvo/Distemper but only very rarely Rabies. If all droppings in trap are diarrhea/coon `looks'/acts `unthrifty' - harvest and deliver to turkey vulture feeding station.

Since I open up all harvested preds (like to know what/how much they've been eating), anyway, it isn't that much of an effort (after gutting/remove head/tail/paws) to place carcass in plastic bag and toss in freezer until almost frozen. This makes removal of hide much easier (like to use the wife's Judy Chen sewing/utility scissors - as good as any surgeon's snips). Also immediately remove scent glands under fore legs and along spine near small of back (when gutting get the picky glands) DO NOT cut into glands. Soak in brine/white vinegar overnight at room temp. Back in freezer until nearly frozen (makes cutting away fat - toss out/chopping meat into chunks easy. Saute meat chunks in small amount of oil. Cool meat, place in double plastic bag and freeze. Repeat process with every coon until we have enough coon to can (2.5lb. per qt. - 6 qt. Mirromatic Pressure Cooker). Beef broth/a little cheap Merlot/half a cup of coffee for a base add meat, heat the `soup' - bottle up - 15psi x 1hr.45min.

Pretty tasty with noodles or rice (not as good as Snapping Turtle).

Never have prepared any other way.

Thank you for the very practical advice. Traps are still empty. We live on the back side of a bayou and the rats have been effectively cleaning out the bait. Will keep trying.

Think I must have run into a `language filter/replacement code', i.e., "(when gutting get the picky glands)" : "picky"???

Whatever. Remove the glands located nearest the `egestive sphincter'.

Last edited:
Quote:
My grandfather used to have pens out behind the barn, built about like rabbit hutches but with heavy wire. He always had 'possums and 'coons in them. I always thought it was the coolest thing and he would tell us kids to get them apples off the tree or corn and feed them all we wanted. Didn't find out untill years later that he penned them to clean them out before cooking. Smart guy, I now have a couple clean out pens myself.
smile.png

Steve

My last thread about cooking raccoons was locked and deleted...

But then again, i had a pic of a raccoon, skinned and ready to cook.

Back
Top Bottom