anyone in England ?

Pics
Currently 6 runner ducks but I have just finished building a new coop ready to be put together when I move house next month. Then I'm still not entirely sure....... Here's what I am after if such a thing exists!........
Suitable for a back garden time split between free ranging and in a run while I'm at work
LF
Good or very good layers of largish eggs
Not flighty
Friendly and sociable
Preferably attractive
Hardy, or easy to keep

At the moment I keep changing my mind, I'm torn between orps, australorps, Marrans, wyndottes or hybrids of some sort. My only reservations about the orps and australorps is that they are big birds and in my mind, bigger birds equals less space for them.

Any help or advice would be great English folk!

Thanks.

Currently 6 runner ducks but I have just finished building a new coop ready to be put together when I move house next month. Then I'm still not entirely sure....... Here's what I am after if such a thing exists!........
Suitable for a back garden time split between free ranging and in a run while I'm at work
LF
Good or very good layers of largish eggs
Not flighty
Friendly and sociable
Preferably attractive
Hardy, or easy to keep

At the moment I keep changing my mind, I'm torn between orps, australorps, Marrans, wyndottes or hybrids of some sort. My only reservations about the orps and australorps is that they are big birds and in my mind, bigger birds equals less space for them.

Any help or advice would be great English folk!

Thanks.
Have a look at "Rosie's Rare breed poultry" She will have various breeds available in a few months time once the weather improves and the girls start really laying again. You would be able to see both parents so can get an idea what the adult birds will look like and how sociable and friendly they are. Plymouth isn't very far from her just outside of Launceston.

I say stick to runners. Ducks are hardier than hens. In my oppinion. They lay just as many eggs if not more. Don't mind the rain. I got 3 runners, and are home alone during week days. Doesn't seem to bother them and live in our back garden.

Thanks Dazza, I love the runners, just started laying last week too, lovely eggs but I fancy adding a few hens as well. Probably only 4 to start with but have room for a few more. I would like a little variety and as much as the ducks are brilliant, it would be nice to have some hens that don't run a mile when you go near them!

Just a standard duck layers pellet. The brand escapes me but will let you know if you like? Treats most days of sweetcorn and peas and they forage the garden for a good few hours most days.

Just a standard duck layers pellet. The brand escapes me but will let you know if you like? Treats most days of sweetcorn and peas and they forage the garden for a good few hours most days.
thanks. Mine get 1 mug of pellets day (mixed with maize in winter) lettuce, cucumber and either sweetcorn, or melon minus the pips (wont eat them) and a handful od mealworms lunchtime. Again mine are free to forage a small area of garden and weekends we open the rest of the garden to them. Obviously clean fresh water daily. Got a bath too. They love a good wash and clean.

Back
Top Bottom