Anyone in the science field...a question for you (An update, post 22)

Quote:
Haha, I would be more than happy to never go back to school ever again as I do feel just completely burnt out. However, it seems that these days you NEED a masters to get somewhere in life. So eventually, I do think I will return to school.

What I would rather do is find a job first, then get my masters later but I'm not so sure that is wise either. Some people tell me that going for a masters straight out of college is trouble when searching for jobs and others say you NEED the masters.

Boy, I hate making decisions. I don't think the BS would necessarily be more difficult, but it would definitely set me back a year. I feel like you are absolutely right though, Debi. I'm just trying to talk myself through all my different options.

Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I'm definitely taking it all into consideration. Keep it coming!

I think I will spend tomorrow researching grad school requirements and their programs. That's a whole other can of worms for me because there aren't a whole lot in my area and I was hoping to stay home, work a full time job, and complete grad school to save up some money. However, from the looks of it, it seems like I may need to do grad school away from home.

My dad makes it sound like everything will work out in the end and I know eventually it will, but sometimes I feel like I'm in a dark room just feeling my way around! LOL I guess that's just life though!

It would behoove you to finish the BS if you are going for a higher degree or plan on teaching. It will will save you credits and money on your tuition for the MS, and it will look better on a resume for a Science teacher.

It all depends on what you are going to do.

In my case I opted for a BA in biology because at the time I was planning on teaching high school science and the state I was living in would accept a BA or a BS. I also was trying to get my degree as fast as I could because I was going to school full time and supporting a family. I then decided to go back in the Army as an officer and the Army required a 4 year degree in any subject. So, requirements were met. I then got a MS in International Relations, completely unrelated to my undergraduate work but the Army paid for it and paid me to get it.
celebrate.gif
I had to take and pass the GRE before starting the MS program, no big deal.

Later on in my post Army life I decided I wanted to a wildlife biologist for the federal government. I evaluated my education and found I fell short in many areas. After 4 years or so of taking additional classes when I could (all of them distance learning and one or two at a time) I met the requirements for my next career. If I had been planning on being a wildlife biologist when I was persuing my undergraduate work I would have taken different courses, maybe even the BS path.

I saw you mentioned wildlife management, it would benefit you to research the requirements.

I would suggest you go the BS route.

Don't ask a college counselor, ask someone who would be interviewing you for a job.

Just make the call. Find a company that uses biologists, that you think you'd be interviewing with, and ask the HR people if you can discuss it with one of the technical people (not an HR person) that would be interviewing you. A lot of times you can look at the company website and find a name and phone number yourself.

There also may be teachers who work both in industry and for the college you're at. Pick someone who's involved in your area - ask them.

You should also have some connections with people in the business through your school projects, ask someone for a favor.

Don't be shy. Most career successes come through asking advice, networking and doing things for people so they do things for you.

Call and contact every available Masters program you are interested in applying for and ask them what they will and will not accept. Make your decision based on that. Keep in mind that the requirements change as well and they may not accept the BA in the future.

What exactly are you missing? You sound like you have everything you need (all the coursework I took).

For all of you who can teach with just a BA or BS in whatever; how lucky you are! Here, you have to get your degree in Education before you can teach. I would LOVE to replace the doorknob who teaches the Middle School science classes here......... but that would require going back to school for another 2 years.

IMHO as someone looking back 20+ years ago:

1+ extra semester to finish and get the full degree that allows you more freedom in the future - I think you will regret it if you dont get the BS. It is only a little bit longer and when you look back in 20 years it will seem to be a short time and worth the effort. Also, I dont care what others have said here - if you want a science job get the BS. Otherwise you are competing against others who have the BS, not the seemingly less stringent BA, and employers will prefer to hire a BS instead.

One other thing - and I would ask the career office about it- by only having a BA are you cutting yourself short on salary? Some companies, including the government hire and pay according to the degree. Arts degrees are paid less than science degrees to start.

Also, again looking far into the future- will it affect you getting a teaching certificate? You want to keep your options open.

Again IMHO, go for it and get the full degree so you have ALL the options.

I have a BA in Biology, dh has a BA in math. We went to a top-rated small liberal arts college' and a BA is what you get. I'm not sure that the type of degree makes as much difference as the GPA in your major and your overall GPA; at least for the first job and grad school. Grad school will look at GPA in your major and the GREs; they want talent and demonstrated performance in your area of expertise. If you have a minor, they will look at the GPA there.

I think I remember you saying that you will have to take out loans for any additional schooling. I think I would talk to people in the biology department, and then make your choice. I don't think a BA will hurt you.

mom'sfolly :

I have a BA in Biology, dh has a BA in math. We went to a top-rated small liberal arts college' and a BA is what you get. I'm not sure that the type of degree makes as much difference as the GPA in your major and your overall GPA; at least for the first job and grad school. Grad school will look at GPA in your major and the GREs; they want talent and demonstrated performance in your area of expertise. If you have a minor, they will look at the GPA there.

I think I remember you saying that you will have to take out loans for any additional schooling. I think I would talk to people in the biology department, and then make your choice. I don't think a BA will hurt you.

It does make a difference if both the BA and BS are offered at the school one attends. The OP has already said she needs more classes for the BS due to poor advise from an advisor. She should get the BS as it is considered a more 'meaty' degree from her school. Graduate schools know if a college offers both and know the difference.

And yes, a BA from a school that does not offer a BS is different than a BA offered from a school that offers both - the OP already said that.

And I KNOW I am correct about certain companies and the government paying differently if the degree is Arts and not Science.​

That's a really tough decision! Good luck with it.

Here's my 2 cents worth... continue taking classes like you're going to get your BA - you can mix in your extra science classes during summer/fall if you decide to go the BS route.

To go to graduate school:

Start researching graduate schools you might be interested in. Specifically, make sure you contact the professors you would be interested in working under and schedule a few days to VISIT THEM. You NEED to visit your top 3 picks, regardless of where they are in the country; not only does it show that you are serious, but professors are much more likely to accept you as a student if they know who you are. Its actually VERY rare for a professor to select a student whom they haven't met (or at least been in correspondence with).

When you are visiting these professors (January, February, March), ask them their opinion about a BA vs a BS. I know that some people on here are saying that you should get your extra units now instead of while you're in your Masters', but I am going to disagree. In your Masters' program, you will likely have your tuition paid and be paid a stipend as well, so it makes a lot more financial sense to do the extra units then, especially if your scholarship is about to run out.

To get a "real" job

Start researching companies you might be interested in working for and contact HR and see how much difference a BS would make vs a BA. No one can tell you which is better more than the company you want to work for!

Good luck. You are definitely an intelligent individual, judging from your writing, so you shouldn't have a problem getting in to grad school or getting a job, depending on what you choose.

Back
Top Bottom