Anyone in WV???

I love orps, they're really pretty birds! And so huge! They come in some really gorgeous colors. They're normally really good layers too... Oh I bet the roo is handsome! My guy is white with red on him. He's got bumble foot I need to treat. I have another girl I need to get pictures of, she's like purple/brown colored. The light colored amerecauna is a lavender.
That's not too bad of a price! I need to look up some of their rare breeds

Ya know, my americaunas rooster is no friendly like his girls are. He's not mean...just not friendly. My seven week old BCM has puffed up at me several times tho. He thinks he's bad. Lol. I grab him and carry him under my arm when he does it. Lol. He's so funny! Probably my favorite. He's trying to crow. Poor guy sounds like he's being choked. Lol

Ya know, my americaunas rooster is no friendly like his girls are. He's not mean...just not friendly. My seven week old BCM has puffed up at me several times tho. He thinks he's bad. Lol. I grab him and carry him under my arm when he does it. Lol. He's so funny! Probably my favorite. He's trying to crow. Poor guy sounds like he's being choked. Lol

So far, I've found that my males have been friendliest young, but the girls come around more when they start to lay.

Armand went after my boot the other day! It was so funny, I had to laugh at him. He's not big enough to hurt anything... lol! And I have one little bantam that has done the same thing, and he's not even half the size of Armand!
gig.gif

Now, on the other hand, at my camp I have a dark brahma roo that is intimidating as crap! He pecked me on the side of the leg... once... I backed him in the corner with a bucket in my hand. He has only maybe once looked at me cross since then. I will NOT stand for a mean roo. We actually got rid of our #2 roo after he thought he could become #1. He actually almost took the spot... he had the Alpha brahma keeping his distance for a few days. But #2 was too rough on the girls, so we axed him and put the brahma back in his place. He's a wonderful flock master.

I was trying to be nice and I put everyone together in the barn cause it's so cold. Well the ameraucana roo and polish roo got into it hard core, I'm not sure what to do now. Hubby doesn't like grown birds in the house but I'm worried about the roo being alone. Ugh. Oh and I think the polish hen is having a hard time with the cold. So she's in the house in with chicks and a bantam Cochin hen too. I walked in and The bantam Cochin was laying on her side looking at me with a half opened eye then closed it. I'm about to just sell them all lol Idk what to do for them. I hate how cold it is right now....

So far, I've found that my males have been friendliest young, but the girls come around more when they start to lay. 

Armand went after my boot the other day!  It was so funny, I had to laugh at him.  He's not big enough to hurt anything... lol!  And I have one little bantam that has done the same thing, and he's not even half the size of Armand!  :gig

Now, on the other hand, at my camp I have a dark brahma roo that is intimidating as crap!  He pecked me on the side of the leg... once... I backed him in the corner with a bucket in my hand.  He has only maybe once looked at me cross since then.  I will NOT stand for a mean roo.  We actually got rid of our #2 roo after he thought he could become #1.  He actually almost took the spot... he had the Alpha brahma keeping his distance for a few days.  But #2 was too rough on the girls, so we axed him and put the brahma back in his place.  He's a wonderful flock master.

I need to send you pics of the dark Brahma cross baby! Hubby calls him raptor lol

Ah goodness...I bet it is hard being so far from family. My family lives in WV and Kansas City, but its been years since I've seen any of them. I'm glad your guy is getting into the chickens too. I have no one interested in them. They think I'm nuts for wanting them with eggs so cheap. I totally enjoy my chicks!

Fresh eggs are so so so much healthier, and way better tasting!!!

Hello fellow Hillbillies! I'm currently out of country but our place is in Randolph. Our main impetus is capons from pure White Chanteclers, Dark Cornish and Turkens/Naked Necks.....and of course, hybrids of all three breeds. We get plenty of eggs but no longer mess with selling to the public. We give some to friends and some who are down on their luck. Moistly we just feed excess eggs back to the flocks.

Back
Top Bottom