Anyone in WV???

Pics
Quote:
Hey, MsBear--can you explain to me about the NPIP thing?

You cannot imagine how much I want your little chicken coop. Sigh.

I am hoping to get to the Chicken Meet. Or swap, I forget what it is called, but I plan to get there.

Catherine

Hey Catherine
frow.gif
you'll need to contact Dr. Jewel Plumley at the Ag. dept and have a tester come out. Fortunately, it is a free service in WV. The only requirements are that you have your birds tested a few times a year at the expense of the state and you cannot purchase birds from a breeder/hatchery/farmer who isn't npip. All major hatheries are npip so that is good. I believe you can purchase hatching eggs from anyone.. I do
hide.gif

Once you get an established flock, the point is to keep your birds safe from disease by bringing in new birds... it's kind of pointless as all they test for is avian flu and pollorum-thyphoid. Many of the more common and more nasty things don't get a second look... BUT, it makes us look good on paper
smile.png

eta: Oh! and come and get that coop!!
lol.png
I really wish we could sell them cheaper. We sold our first few coops so cheap we lost money on them
he.gif
... and slowly we've been raising our prices so that we make enough that it is worth all the time hubby spends on them. We have a good business down in Northern VA but still have a rough time selling them locally. Im hitting up some feed stores this week to see if we can sell them through consignment. The Southern States store has $1400 coops that are the same size as the one I listed here on BYC and aren't as freekin adorable
lol.png
I hope they do well so we can hire a friend of Rusty's that got laid off from the electric company. Boy, wouldn't that be nice to have him home more and build chicken coops for a living *sigh*

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom