Anyone Interested in a Blind Horse?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rodriguezpoultry, Jan 7, 2011.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    There's a lady on another forum that is asking for help. She is moving and cannot take her horse with her. Thing is, her horse is blind. He's located near Ohio/Pennsylvania and she's willing to drive to drop him off. If no home can be found, she has made the decision to put him down in order to keep him from auction or falling into the wrong hands. He's approximately 18 years old.

To my knowledge, is not broke to ride and he is free.

Comes with:
    Blanket
    Trough (if needed)
    Halter
    Lead
    Fencing (if needed)

Email at: [email protected]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. WIChookchick

WIChookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Rural Brooklyn, WI
    Links can't be viewed unless the person is logged in...
    I would tell her to put the horse down.
    I did that for a 5 yr old 3/4 blind mare I had. I COULD NOT find her a home, I tried from the time she was 18 months old(when she was foisted on me).. till she was 5.
    I don't breed, I tried several times, and she did get adopted but kept coming back to me. I even tried a horse rescue, she ended up coming back due to the rescue closing down.
    I couldn't train her to ride, as she had fear issues, even sent her to a trainer, also she had partial vision in one eye, but no peripheral vision and was clouded in the FRONT of the good eye..
    So she just really couldn't see well enough to be ridden, and not blind, so couldn't train her as one would a blind horse.

Just my .02 cents worth

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    PM'd you

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    WI, I agree with you in this. I would not want a blind horse, especially when there are thousands of perfectly sound, 100% visioned horses available for free. But, I figured this would be an effort to find her pet a home. She's come to the conclusion that she's going to put him down if no knowledgeable homes are available, so she's already facing what might/probably will happen.

Just figured it'd be an interesting project for someone so I posted on the site. I might have to ask her permission to make the photos more open-forum friendly. Sorry about the photos! I can post a link to the forum as it's a horse-only forum it shouldn't fall under the competition rule.

http://forum.horseville.com/anything-goes/4120-were-moving-cant-take-horse.html

5. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    So nice of you to try to help the old guy out. I'm in the right location and have experience with a blind horse, but we are at our max for companion animals here. To bring in another would take away from the animals already here. [​IMG]
    I'm glad that she won't run him through an auction barn. A meat buyer would get him for sure. At 18 with no prospects of finding a home then putting him down might be the kindest thing she can do for him. Blind horses can live good lives, but as someone said there are so many free horses out there already.
    So sad...

6. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    awe i wish i could take the poor horsey!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by