Anyone know about Purcellville city limits?

poppyseed

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 27, 2008
Hi everyone! My husband and I are looking at a property in Loudoun County, VA, within the Purcellville city limits, that has an acre of land and includes a dependency that is actually an old chicken coop. Buying this old house would afford us a number of opportunities to live more sustainably, and raising chickens for eggs would be a delightful part of that for us, I think. Western Loudoun is a very agrarian county, and were the property outside of the city limits, I wouldn't have to wonder if a small flock of chickens would be allowed.

I've done some looking online and can't find Purcellville's ordinances. I know at least one other person on the forum lives in Loudoun County, so I thought maybe someone here would be able to tell me about chickens in the town limits before the government offices open on Monday.

The property is in the historic district, is surrounded by pasture on two sides and a golf course on the back, and is not subject to an HOA's draconian whims.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you might be able to impart!

Welcome to Purcellville. I live outside the city limits on a large farm. I dont' know where to find the ordinances for Purcellville. I recently read that most areas, even highly urban areas, do allow keeping of hens, but not necessarily roosters.

I have my first batch of chickens now, so I am just learning.

My personal philosophy about life in general is: "Tis easier to obtain forgiveness than to be granted permission." I say, get the chickens. Even if they are not lawful, I cannot imagine anyone in Purcellville objecting as long as the chickens receive great care. In the sad event that you would need to part with your chickens, there are plenty of places in this part of Virginia where you could find a suitable home.

Good Luck!

As a reference for anyone else trying to find out if Purcellville allows chickens in town... Yes! I know of four homes within two streets of town hall with chickens, myself included!
The town rules regarding backyard birds are pretty simple. No roosters and no slaughter. There is a bylaw about building a structure within 5' of a fence/property line so you might want to consider that when placing your coop.
Be warned. There are a TON of predators around. Not just neighborhood cats and dogs either. There are hawks, foxes and raccoons (among others) that roam the streets.
Happy chicken keeping! :)

Hi ladies, just joined the board and saw this posting. I am moving to purcellville next month when my house construction is completed. Just wanted to introduce myself, I'm Aimee abd hoping for chicken, but heard our HOA prohibits, so thinking about game birds, quails & possibly pheasant. Would love any advice or recommended reading. Thanks in advance and sorry for hijacking the post, but figured we would all be neighbors and relatively close.

Back
Top Bottom