Anyone Know What My Boy Is?

D

Deleted member 649519

Hello, y'all! I got a flock of 10 on April 15th this year. I have no idea what my 3 "Golden Girls" are, but my brother thinks NH Reds, I got 4 Easter Eggers, 2 Sapphire Gems, and this random lil beastie that was sold as a Sapphire Gem pullet and turned out to be a who-knows-what cockerel. He's the sweetest boy-o I've ever had the pleasure to know, and I would like to know just what he is. Thanks in advance! 🙏🏻

(He lost his precious tail feathers when that a$$hole in the back gave him a cheapshot and ripped them out during bathtime. Just an fyi.)

Attachments

• IMG_20220728_072148.jpg
    IMG_20220728_072148.jpg
    707.8 KB · Views: 16
I say I don't know what he is because according to other chicken people, Sapphire Gems are.... Umm... Color coded(?) for easy sexing. He never had a white dot on his head that SG roos apparently all have, and he doesn't have a necklace of color like his "sisters". So I'm guessing he wasn't bred true.

I'd say Sapphire Gem cockerel. Yes SGs are sex linked.
The white head spot indicates barring. Sometimes it doesn't show up well on blue but he is clearly barred.

I'd say Sapphire Gem cockerel. Yes SGs are sex linked.
The white head spot indicates barring. Sometimes it doesn't show up well on blue but he is clearly barred.
Ok so he's not just a Blue Plymouth or a Barred Plymouth? He never had the white spot when he was still a fluff ball, so as he got older I figured I got the odd one that wasn't a real Gem.

Thank you! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Ok so he's not just a Blue Plymouth or a Barred Plymouth? He never had the white spot when he was still a fluff ball, so as he got older I figured I got the odd one that wasn't a real Gem.

Thank you! 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻
He’s a sapphire gem, even though he didn’t show the dot he has the sex-linked barring.

Thank you everyone for your replies! Everything I had read before only mentioned the white spot; I had no idea about the barring or anything. 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Back
Top Bottom