Anyone like the smaller chickens like OEGB,or seramas,or sebrights....

lcw1995

Songster
9 Years
Nov 27, 2010
Marysville Ohio
Anyone like them more rather than the standards...?I like them more because there small, dont make as much of a mess, make excellent mothers, dont eat as much feed, dont take up as much room, ect......
Anyone else like them more than the standards....?
Also pictures are welcome....
THanks,
Cole.

Me! I'm new to chickens and have a menagerie (25 total) lol....a lot for a 10 limit. But nobody cares.

Anyway. I saw bantams at TSC 2 weeks ago and got a gray mystery one and a silver sebright and just had this super craving for seramas. Just got a shipment of 5 chicks from a BYC member yesterday. They're totally awesome. They look so funny right now (frizzle/silkie) look a bit ragged when crossed as chicks. But can't wait to see them as they mature!!!

So far other than my red hen who I cuddled a lot cause of health issues, my silver sebright is the most outgoing of all my chickens. Now my barred rocks are outgoing (just don't pick them up!) but out of my little chicks under the heat lamp the sebright is hands down the first to run to me followed by the solid gray bantam with the poof ears. And I will see how my seramas area once they adjust.
smile.png

I love silver Sebrights and golden Sebrights, but I can't really say I love them MORE than regular sized chickens. I think they're sweet (the hens anyway) and adorable, and yes they eat less and do go broody. I can't really say I have A favorite. But yes, the Sebrights are certainly some of my favorites. They're so sweet!

And the roosters crack me up.

Rah.... love the small birdies... Workin on the bantam marans...
smile.png
Some day... my dream bird... SMALL (bantam wyandotte size) bird that lays an uber darkie!!! what heaven that will be!!! I want them in BC color... especially overmelanised so that they are red (with green sheen) and black!!! (dream banty)

I would love to have bantams, and my 8 year old daughter has begged for Sebrights for months now, but I am afraid our cats would get them. They all have pretty high prey dives, but are afraid of the standards enough to not mess with them. I can say for sure that wouldn't hold with bantams.
sad.png

Quote:
Hi, Cole!

The smaller chickens are known as "bantam", and there are a number of bantam breeds. We have several of them, and I thoroughly enjoy having them. I am always joking that they're "like little toy wind-up chickens".

What are your favorite bantam breeds?

i love my teeny guys 1/2 my flock is banty i have 4 production girls for eggs and the rest are what my granddaddy would call fancy chickens

Fiesty and Teeny Roo Seabright and OEGB

my cochin banty pair

Freckles he's not a banty but he'll be a smaller roo

and have various others they are going thru the uglies and are hard to get decent pics of

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom