1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Anyone like the smaller chickens like OEGB,or seramas,or sebrights....

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lcw1995, Apr 27, 2011.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    Anyone like them more rather than the standards...?I like them more because there small, dont make as much of a mess, make excellent mothers, dont eat as much feed, dont take up as much room, ect......
    Anyone else like them more than the standards....?
    Also pictures are welcome....
    THanks,
    Cole.

2. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Me! I'm new to chickens and have a menagerie (25 total) lol....a lot for a 10 limit. But nobody cares.

Anyway. I saw bantams at TSC 2 weeks ago and got a gray mystery one and a silver sebright and just had this super craving for seramas. Just got a shipment of 5 chicks from a BYC member yesterday. They're totally awesome. They look so funny right now (frizzle/silkie) look a bit ragged when crossed as chicks. But can't wait to see them as they mature!!!

So far other than my red hen who I cuddled a lot cause of health issues, my silver sebright is the most outgoing of all my chickens. Now my barred rocks are outgoing (just don't pick them up!) but out of my little chicks under the heat lamp the sebright is hands down the first to run to me followed by the solid gray bantam with the poof ears. And I will see how my seramas area once they adjust. [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I love silver Sebrights and golden Sebrights, but I can't really say I love them MORE than regular sized chickens. I think they're sweet (the hens anyway) and adorable, and yes they eat less and do go broody. I can't really say I have A favorite. But yes, the Sebrights are certainly some of my favorites. They're so sweet!

And the roosters crack me up.

4. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Rah.... love the small birdies... Workin on the bantam marans... [​IMG] Some day... my dream bird... SMALL (bantam wyandotte size) bird that lays an uber darkie!!! what heaven that will be!!! I want them in BC color... especially overmelanised so that they are red (with green sheen) and black!!! (dream banty)

5. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    yes geebs, that be an awesome bantie!

6. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    I would love to have bantams, and my 8 year old daughter has begged for Sebrights for months now, but I am afraid our cats would get them. They all have pretty high prey dives, but are afraid of the standards enough to not mess with them. I can say for sure that wouldn't hold with bantams. [​IMG]

7. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    Bantams can fly.....

8. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    [​IMG] I have dutch and japaneese.. they rock [​IMG]. Yes... they LOVE to guard their eggs.

9. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Quote:Hi, Cole!

The smaller chickens are known as "bantam", and there are a number of bantam breeds. We have several of them, and I thoroughly enjoy having them. I am always joking that they're "like little toy wind-up chickens".

What are your favorite bantam breeds?

10. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    i love my teeny guys 1/2 my flock is banty i have 4 production girls for eggs and the rest are what my granddaddy would call fancy chickens

Fiesty and Teeny Roo Seabright and OEGB

[​IMG]

my cochin banty pair

[​IMG]

Freckles he's not a banty but he'll be a smaller roo

[​IMG]

and have various others they are going thru the uglies and are hard to get decent pics of

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by