Anyone mix different types of feed?

DiggsTheChick

Chirping
Sep 19, 2018
Benkelman, Nebraska
I have hens and rooster, i recently got a very nice pretty rooster and my other rooster keeps picking at his tail feathers so he is looking really rough right now. I have only fed layer feed but starting to wonder if I can just mix my feeds, for example I would like to mix in some feather fixer into the layer feed for my rooster. Also when my chicks are big enough to join the group i was hoping to feed a mix of layer and chick starter. Is this a bad idea or is there something else I can do? They live in a huge barn so if need be i can close off a section for the chicks but not sure what to do about my pretty rooster.

I have hens and rooster, i recently got a very nice pretty rooster and my other rooster keeps picking at his tail feathers so he is looking really rough right now. I have only fed layer feed but starting to wonder if I can just mix my feeds, for example I would like to mix in some feather fixer into the layer feed for my rooster. Also when my chicks are big enough to join the group i was hoping to feed a mix of layer and chick starter. Is this a bad idea or is there something else I can do? They live in a huge barn so if need be i can close off a section for the chicks but not sure what to do about my pretty rooster.
This is a good idea. And many people including myself mix feeds together.

Have you compared the label o. The feather fixer bag to your regular feed? Do not let names in bags fool you into thinking it is something it is not.

What is the name of your current feed...I will show you side by side the differences.

Also...have you checked him well for lice and or mites yet?

I would suggest a flock raiser for all of them, with oyster shell on the side for the hens. That's what I do.

I ran out of oyster shell a long time ago and haven’t seen any difference in the girls shells, so flock raiser is all they get. Oyster shell is really only necessary if you are getting soft or thin eggs. I had more problems with excess calcium deposits when I put the oyster shell out anyway. Jmho

I don't think mixing the different feeds into one feeder is really doing anything good for the flock. The birds won't pick out the individual feed that they should be eating, so the hens will be eating some of the feather booster and the rooster will be eating some of the layer feed. Neither one is going to get full benefit from either feed, and around here the feather booster is expensive feed.
Personally, I would just go with an All-flock feed and when you have small chicks set up an area where only the chicks can go to get the chick starter. When the chicks are bigger, then all-flock is fine for them also. I have found that my hens LOVE the chick starter - but it makes sense since it is more expensive than layer feed.
Oyster shell on the side is always a good option. And yes, i have a chicken also who eats more oystershell than she should and gets calcium deposits on her eggs, but I have 2 chickens who lay very thin-shelled eggs without the oystershell.

Have you compared the label o. The feather fixer bag to your regular feed? Do not let names in bags fool you into thinking it is something it is not.

What is the name of your current feed...I will show you side by side the differences.

Also...have you checked him well for lice and or mites yet?

I have not got the feather fixer yet but the brand for it is naturewise and the layer pellets they are currently getting is the brand country lane. I have not check for mites yet because I thought it was my rooster being mean to him. I will look today when I get home from work!

Back
Top Bottom