Anyone non-religious here? Please be nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
That one has always interested me. It always seemed to me that there was less comfort and more fear in the possibility of me and my loved ones finding ourselves in Hell. Not because we're bad people, mind you, but there are so many ways to tick off god it just seems the odds are in favor of that outcome.

Here's a question, and I hope it doesn't seem too odd, but why does everyone assume a creator has to be benevolent, perfect, etc? It seems to me that, just as people can be born to abusive parents, it's not beyond the bounds of reason to think we could have been created by something not exactly worthy of adulation. I know there are people who say their god doesn't lie and that it's in the bible, but if I were a lying god, that's exactly what I would have put in the bible . . . that I am a good god who only speaks truth. It doesn't really negate the fact that existing is pretty darn cool, just like growing up with horrid parents wouldn't make your life any less significant, but it is something to think about.

P.S. For the record, I'd like to think that if I ever found myself in the god position, my level of honesty would be forgotten by my followers in the confusion resulting from my turning everyone into various forms of giant birds.

I think that we assume that the creator is good because for the most part, we live in a time period when life is getting better. If I lived during the ancient times, it would make sense that the Gods were capricious.

Quote:
I still pray, often, to the universe. I don't know for sure if a universal energy does exist but it comforts and strengthens me to feel connected to life so I continue this practice and that's enough of a reason for me. I have a hard time imagining life without it and what does it hurt if I'm wrong?

Anyone been watching the Life series lately?
The primates one was on tonight, and I think I had a big goofy grin on my face the entire time. I *love* watching our cousins do things!
I always find it baffling that a concept that offends so many religious people (that we're closely related to the other apes) is something thrilling and joyous to me. I love watching other sentient animals do things, figure things out, just exist.
That chimp making and using a mortar and pestle? Marvelous!
love.gif

Quote:
I keep recording the Life series and then not watching them. Don't know why.

I will have to watch the one on primates. Some people get very offended if anyone says that they are related to other primates. I don't understand either. Really how is saying that we share a common ancestor with a chimp any worse then saying that we came from mud or what ever other human creation story that various cultures teach?

Quote:
I love this description. I was born into catholicism. Went to parochial school, which of course means church every day. The older I became I realized the similarities in each religion and couldn't understand why people chose to look at the differences as opposed to the similarities. I came to the conclusion that each religion held the same story dressed up a bit differently.
In the end I feel just like yourself. Perfect description!

Get in touch with the universal unconscious and you will get the same feeling. All religions have behaviors that have certain actions in common: some version of physical posturing, repetitive chant (outloud or not) and often some tangible item like beads of some sort to help with the focus. In all cases those who engage in these behaviors whether Buddhist or Catholic they all engage the same area of their brain...... It is the meditative repetition that seems to do the trick more than what it is you think you are talking to.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Get in touch with the universal unconscious and you will get the same feeling. All religions have behaviors that have certain actions in common: some version of physical posturing, repetitive chant (outloud or not) and often some tangible item like beads of some sort to help with the focus. In all cases those who engage in these behaviors whether Buddhist or Catholic they all engage the same area of their brain...... It is the meditative repetition that seems to do the trick more than what it is you think you are talking to.

That makes a lot of sense.
smile.png

I have WHAT in my yard? :

I agree it does make a lot of sense.​

Quote:
I have NEVER liked chimps or other apes or even monkeys. I think they are disgusting and ugly, but ... I have no doubt that we are related to them. Watching my brother and his football friends puff up their muscles for college girls reminds me SO much of gorillas doing the same thing for their mates. Baboons will do favors for "single mom baboons" so that they can mate with them later. I've seen enough high school boys grunt and wrestle as a "male bonding thing". Despite how many people think we're better than animals, we're really not
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom