Anyone noticing an unusually poor November egg production?

Well, I now have 2 laying. One older hen and a pullet. As I sit here right now it is sleeting outside. Chickens are out and no eggs today yet. But I did gather for 2 days but I think my older hen has been laying by the looks of the color of the egg. Restocking the nest boxes with fake eggs helped. Hopefully more will kick in now. Luckily I am out of the TSC scratch, that stuff is just nasty worthless scratch. Much perfer my feed store scratch no corn in it lots of good seed.

I too haved noticed a lower than usual egg production. I think I had about 20 to 30 percent more last year. I do understand that due to less sunlight egg production will go down somewhat but I am certain that we got more last year.
hmm.png

We had a bad October. They're laying now, but we were only getting 2 eggs from 11 hens.
Contributed it to culling some of our flock and them trying to do some social shuffling. Also, we have a light on a timer in the coop- to increase the daylight.
We're getting about 8 eggs a day now.
Maybe there was something a foot in the Fall, that all our birds were atuned to??

I have a coop and run with 8 red cross and 4 black sex link and I get 10 to 11 eggs a day from them, I have a light on a timer in this coop, I have anorher coop with 8 red sex links in it, no light and I get 7 or 8 eggss from them a day, the shorter daylight and cold does not nseem to bother them

I guess I feel pretty good, have 9 laying pullets getting 5-7 eggs a day. However, much colder weather as well as the snow hit within the last week here in Wisconsin so I'm expecting a drop off soon.

Out of Ten hens I am LUCKY if I get one... "1"...ONE...egg a day these last weeks.
I would never eat these girls, a couple of them I have had for 5 years, but some are year olds and should still be laying.
I think its just been so cloudy and the lack of sunlight has stopped them.
Just makes me sick to think I am going to have to BUY store eggs if I want to cook something needing egg!
barnie.gif

Production was just starting to ramp up a bit at the end of November then we got this unusually long cold spell (for Florida) at the beginning of December. Short days and cold nights do not make for productive birds. Thirty pullets out there six and seven months old and this week they're laying maybe seven or eight eggs between them.

I've come to the conclusion I should have hatched them out sooner. Next year I'll have them all fully up to speed by August instead of September/October.

A.T. Hagan :

Production was just starting to ramp up a bit at the end of November then we got this unusually long cold spell (for Florida) at the beginning of December. Short days and cold nights do not make for productive birds. Thirty pullets out there six and seven months old and this week they're laying maybe seven or eight eggs between them.

I've come to the conclusion I should have hatched them out sooner. Next year I'll have them all fully up to speed by August instead of September/October.

My best layers right now are my late April to middle of May hatches earlier ones slacked off to about 1/2 and the later ones are just laying every now and then you could say they have a stutter start
lol.png
So I know when I'm hatching for winter eggs of course it might be different next fall.....​

I had a little over 500 eggs in November from my 22; December has not been as good thus far...not sure what the problem is...they have light starting at 4am...we covered their run with plastic to keep the wind out and it also warms it up while the sun is shining.

Back
Top Bottom