Anyone on day 18-We've got chicks and PICS! pg 3

Yay!
jumpy.gif
for everyone!
I have 2 blue d'uccles, 3 Japanese, 1 silkie, and 2 EEs out so far. I have a bunch more pips-so I'll keep everyone updated.
You all update me too!

Marie_Martin, Yes it's me! I'm still counting on 7 babies and day is 19/20 today! I'm having a broody silkie hatch them. I'll let you know what happens in the next few days!
fl.gif

I have some photos to share-the light was not good, and the little peeps wanted to snuggle down in the sheepskin!

Here are 3 black tailed white Japanese bantams
blk-tailed-wh-japs.jpg

d'uccle bantams-I think these are blue-maybe mottled-possibly black?
duccles.jpg

another d'uccle
duccle.jpg

and my silkie babies-no idea on the color!
silkies.jpg

I also have 2 EEs out, but one has an unabsorbed yolk and the other has really curled toes so it has "boots" on. They were not looking very photogenic!

I'm on day 20 today with misc breed eggs in a LG still air bator. I can hear random peeping coming from inside the bator but I'm not sure which egg(s) the sound is coming from. No pips yet. Humidity is holding pretty steady at 73%, and 100 degrees. I'm afraid to try and mess with the setting this far along into the hatch as I'd hate to mess things up. I've got one of the two vent holes open on top of the bator. I'm wondering if I should open both...

Update at 0351 am... I'm working the night shift, so I swung by my house to look into the bator...

Two eggs have "pipped", One is pipped on the top of the shell and the other I assume it's pipped on the bottom as I can see a little egg shell material in the bottom of the bator. I resisted the urge to open up the bator and start moving things around but I'm quite tempted. Some eggs continue to move, I can hear some "cheeping" from inside the bator. Nothing else to report.
smile.png

Last edited:
I now have a flock of chicks in the spare bedroom! I counted 23 living. 3 haven't pipped and I'll candle them later. one died -- it's yolk wasn't fully absorbed. i have another with a rough navel that seems weak. it's a different color than the rest. i hope it pulls through. and another with severe spraddle. poor thing. it's knees are all bruised up. it's the only buff EE of the bunch. my sweet son always claims the crippled ones for himself. he always loves an underdog.

Quote:
If you haven't already, I would open both up because the hatching chicks will raise the humidity. I don't like t help in hatching, but my humidity jacked way up to 83 last night, and now I have two halfway zipped chicks that are stuck by the membrane. I helped one out and may do the other as well. I have others pipped, that are probably fine because they weren't as exposed as the zipping chicks.

Back
Top Bottom