CHICK PIPPED DAY 17 on the wrong end!!

Sarah ruby 5

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2023
Hi guys! Today is day 18, I’m going to do lock down by the end of the day.

Yesterday morning I found a crack in one of my eggs, it didn’t look like it got cracked from the outside, I was super confused cause it was only the beginning of day 17 and on the wrong end!

I assumed it must just be some weird accident crack so I taped it up, that’s what the internet told me to do. But then when I was rotating all of the eggs lastnight when I rotated the cracked egg the chick inside started freaking out, pushing and chirping. I panicked and pulled the tape off gently so it wasn’t trapped.

The tape was on there for a good five hours, though. I don’t know if it stunted the babies progress. The membrane isn’t broken, only the shell. When I pulled the tape off I accidentally pulled a piece of shell off. The membrane looks super dry, I got the humidity up to 65%

Now today the chick is still chirping but has made no progress. What do you guys suggest I do?

Could your incubator been running a bit high? If it can chirp, it's breathing somehow. Can you moisten the membrane with a qtip
The incubator was between 99-101 for the first 14 days, now it’s normally around 98-99. How often should I wet the membrane? I looked closer and there is a small slit where the chicks beak is.

Back
Top Bottom