Anyone order from Farwest hatchery out of Oregon??

I can't believe that they can possible hatch all the breeds they list on their site at every hatching date but want (need) to get all my chicks at once but no one answered the phone yesterday.

This hatchery is very close to us and according the their website they sell direct and are opened 9-5 six days a week. When I called this morning the message said that they were closed 2/14 and 2/15 but the site also said they had a hatch on 2/12... So I am wondering if they need all hands on deck to care for chicks? In any case, I am going to check it out and (hopefully) buy some.

I called today and was told that the chicks are pretty much pre-sold until early April but I can call on Wednesday afternoon to cjhenck the over hatch to see if they have any breeds. If they do I can come that same day and pick them up chicks from what they have left unsold as over hatch.

And yes they do hatch eggs of every breed on the on line list every week.

BTW small fed stores who buy from then say they are very pleased with the quality of the chicks.

I called today and was told that the chicks are pretty much pre-sold until early April but I can call on Wednesday afternoon to cjhenck the over hatch to see if they have any breeds. If they do I can come that same day and pick them up chicks from what they have left unsold as over hatch.

BTW small fed stores who buy from then say they are very pleased with the quality of the chicks.
Sounds like they are busy filling the large customer orders they have and the individual small orders may be suffering as a result. Give them a couple more years to get a solid foundation and they should be fine all around.

I may still give them a try later in the season. Their frying pan special is the best price I have seen for heritage meat birds on the west coast.

Did they tell you the feed stores are pleased with the quality or did you talk to the feed stores themselves? Either way, I won't be purchasing birds from them again, but hopefully you'll have a better experience.

Did they tell you the feed stores are pleased with the quality or did you talk to the feed stores themselves? Either way, I won't be purchasing birds from them again, but hopefully you'll have a better experience.

Apparently my current Wellsummer and Maran where hatched there and they are really my best hens and we only got them because lost three of the six chicks from the major feed store.

Neither (local small scale) feed store I contacted was planning to sell Wellsummers this summer and they refered me to Farwest as their source. Alas, turns out that farwest only planned a small wellsummer hatch so, unless there are some in over hatch, they don't have Wellsummers for sale.

As for buying from their weekly over hatch, we had a family emergency so I didn't call until late Wednesday and they only had one breed left and it was not one I wanted so I will try again next Tuesday for a wellsummer, a black and/or a cuckoo Maran. Meanwhile I found someone local who will have a hatch of blue Lemon and black Orpingtons. I am in line so I might get them if the hatch is big enough.

Eugene Backyard Farmer is supposed to get some Welsumners and I think that Coastal Farm usually has Welsumners for chick days. If you go to the Eugene Backyard Famer website there is a calender of the chicks he is supposed to get every week.
I "like" their page on Facebook and you can e-mail him to ask what chicks they have. He will hold chicks for you. It's a 2-3 hour drive to Eugene from where I live, but I plan to get some from him again this year. Especially the Barnevelders. He orders from Farwest.

I checked and Welsumners are supposed to arrive this Wednesday, the 27th. I would call Wednesday to see if he got them.

Last edited:
^^^thanjs for the info ^^^ Farwest has presold their Wellsummer chicks thur their mid April hatch date and aren't taking new orders of Barnevelders, Wellsummers and a few othewr breeds. I am hoping top get chicks , including a wellsummer from thier "overhatch" since the hatchery is closer to me than Eugene.

We ordered 8 different breeds in January to be shipped March 4th and If I didn't call them to ask them if they had a certain product I would have never know that my chicks eggs haven't even been set yet!!! now after a week of back and forth on the phone with no answer to as if and when my eggs will be set I want to cancel, get a refund and order from a well know hatchery.... problem is website or answering maching doesn't even tell me what time they open! I read they don't give full refunds if cancelled with in certain dates so I'm ready to raise some crap!! Pretty much done with this hatchery, sorry to say they do need communication management :/

They gave me a full refund for my order, but they messed up and lost my chicks at the airport because their shipping label fell off. Good luck getting a full refund, you deserve it!

Back
Top Bottom