Anyone Owning A Friesian Please Help Help Help!!!!PICTURES ADDED!!!!

I'd urge you to get the outsurced DNA testing done now or ask if it's possible to have the vet take and store the blood until the rest is done. You'll only have one chance to get it done while the foal is still there in front of the transfer. I'm wondering if she
ight not actually go ahead and honor the contract if she's sure she's going to get caught. At least on some cases con
artists will cough up the money they've taken to avoid being arrested. I don't know if it'd apply in this case, though. Maybe your lawyer could tell in a quick phone consult.

Quote:
I've been watching this thread, and I have to say I agree. It seems to me that foregoing the DNA testing could be a case of penny wise and pound foolish. If you are having a vet attend anyway, it really makes sense to have him/her do everything possible to protect your interests - before that foal leaves the breeder's possession.

You have received excellent advice through the course of all this and I think having an outside vet micro chip and DNA test is among the best.

It is better to go above and beyond than kick yourself later for not doing something that could/would make a difference in the outcome.

Good luck. I really hope this all works out for you in a satisfactory manner.

Cheryl

I dont know how I could do a DNA test without parent samples. I cant imagine she's going to consent to the vet taking a sample of her mare, and then I'd have to track down the sire's DNA, and for it to hold up in court a 3rd party such as a vet would have to take the samples from all three animals, otherwise she could contest that I pulled those samples from any horse. The court itself can later order DNA testing to put an end to any of her arguments during a trial, provided I can prove that the foal I am using for the test is the same she gave to me. Thus the need for a micro chip implanted before the animal leaves her property.

Besides all that, if something should happen to any of the samples before or during their processing I'd be up poop creek because the foal would already be home off her property, leaving me unable to prove it is in fact the animal she gave me.

I only have 4 days to find a vet, get one out while she's there and make that animal legally identifiable. A chip just makes the most sense. She's gonig to be DNA tested either way when she comes home,.

Last edited:
YOU don't need the samples. The breed association already has DNA on file for the stud and, if she is registered, for the actual dam as well. You will likely have little to no trouble getting the association to verify your foal's DNA against their file samples for the stallion in question. The samples for the mare will prove or disprove whether she actually produced the foal. IF you can verify a sire and a dam, eventually you may even be able to have the foal registered IF you are willing to pay the stallion owner his stud fee for the breeding that produced the foal. Likely there will be fees involved for all the verifications as well, but theoretically it can be done. This IS why breed associations are insisting on DNA testing to register a foal, after all. In a situation like this the breed association is interested in finding out the truth about that foal's parentage. It is exactly why they maintain those DNA sample files.

If the foal is microchipped prior to leaving, that should be enough proof that this is the foal from that particular breeder's farm. The DNA testing really CAN be done at any time, since it's not like it's going to change.

Good luck with this.

Rusty

Edited to add that sadly I suspect the mare will prove NOT to be the mare you think produced that foal. It may not even be registered. However, if it is, the breed association should ALREADY have samples for every registered Friesian mare that breeder owns. DNA does not lie.

Last edited:
Make sure a VET does the chip. DO NOT DO IT YOURSELF!!!

DNA can be done any time. Don't sweat it for now.

Is it possible that all that stands in the way of registration is someone paying a stud fee? Might be your cheapest way out of this of all. Contact the stud owner and just ask if you can pay a stud fee and even though it is not right that you get stuck with it, it might be your best bang for the buck, WAY better than trying to sue a loser and get nothing. You can go after the loser later for the stud fee in small claims court.

Get a WRITTEN BREEDING AGREEMENT from the stud owner if they do agree to let you pay the fee and register the baby. Just because they are not this woman doesn't mean they don't pull stuff too. Get a full blown breeding contract with any and all guarantees like as if you took your own mare there to be bred.

The stud owners may take payments. I realize right now money is tight and things ain't right. No shame in that. You and 90% of America are in the same boat. Things can be worked out over time if the mare turns out to be registered Fresian. It is to the stud owner's advantage to have a nice baby registered to their stud. They have a stake in this too. Don't forget that.

So... here's your very short list of what to do.
1.) Have a vet chip the baby. NON NEGOTIABLE. YOU MUST DO THIS BEFORE THE BABY LEAVES THE FARM!!!!
2.) Take the baby home and feel good about what you have gotten accomplished so far.
3.) DNA the baby whenever you get the $ and incentive to do it.
4.) Check results with the registry.
5.) Contact the stallion owner to see if you can work something out. You might want to contact them now and introduce yourself and give them the sceanrio so far, so they have a heads up and this won't hit them out of the blue a year from now when you get a handle on things and DNA that baby. They also maybe of help to you in resolving this mess.

Some registries have time limits on when you can register a horse, or late fees. AQHA you can't register one after the age of four, period. Check your registry's rules so you don't get left hanging.

There is hope. Try it from that angle... keep us posted. SO sorry you are going through this.

Last edited:
Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Unfortunately the Friesian Registries don't have a on-line pedigree look up. Some registries do and it very helpful in finding if the animal is registered , parentage, offspring, siblings, DNA test, Microchip #, former owners etc.,

Most DNA labs now take hair samples for testing that is why it is best for you to have the sample taken, in front of your eyes. If she took the sample who knows which horse it came from?
Switching hair samples has been done before.

I pay approx. $35 for the DNA kit and testing to be done.

I solved the mystery!

I woke up this morning and called the stallion owners. They are responsible for releasing the birth certificate for her to fill out and send in.

Guess what? They knew EXACTLY who I was calling about. She hadnt paid for the breedings! No wonder my horse wasnt registered! She had dooped them too! Given the lady there a sob story song and dance about how she was a single mom and hard up and could they cut her a deal to breed her three mares. Well, she bred four, and never paid them like she was supposed to for the others. She ended up calling friday after I called and emailed her and begged them to release the BC for my foal, they said absolutely not until she paid for it then and there, the full stud fee, collection fee and booking fee. So she did, and they sent her my filly's papers.

I called the registry and explained everything to them, and they agreed to help me watch for the papers to come in.

The stallion owners are excellent freaking awesome amazing people, BTW. If ANYONE wants a friesian these are the people to deal with. Friesiandreams.com They have stock for sale too.

Anyway, they were saying that theyre going to put her on the do not breed list that the registered friesian stallion owners have. She's going to have a hell of a time breeding her friesians. AND they said that if I DO have to take her to court that they will back me up completely- likely they will have to take her to court for the money she hasnt paid them.

What a mess!

HEY!!! That is GREAT NEWS!!!

I bet you are the only one that is going to get satisfaction, but at least it is a good deal for you. I would STILL MAKE SURE that baby is chipped by a vet before it leaves the property. DO IT!! I have seen shennannigan doers, and there is no limit to the crap they will pull on a continuing basis. Protect your rear!!! I am so glad you got the ball rolling! YAYYYYY!!!
ya.gif

oh wanted to clear up that I checked my email logs and found that I made a mistake- the fourth foal wasnt Anne's- it was a different stallions. I did call the stallion owners right abck and let them know. I just dont want to accuse someone of something that they didnt do! She only lied, she didnt steal an extra breeding
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom