Anyone preparing for Sandy?

Rained all day yesterday, but not very hard - official total is just less than 2 inches. We had the wind today, sustained in the low 20's and gusting around 40 mph. But now the wind's dropping and the barometric pressure is coming up, so our encounter with Sandy is coming to an end. Praying for those of you still in the storm's path.

That sounds like it wasn't too bad, Bunnylady. The real problem will probably be when Sandy collides with the arctic storm front heading from the northwest. It could have a big impact inland such as in West Virginia, Pennsylvania and even to Ohio. The coast is predicted to be hard hit all the way to here in southern New England and even farther north. The wind and surf will be the issue on the coast; wind and snow inland where the arctic storm is coming from.

We are right in it's path and so far things are not looking good. NJ is in a state of emergency. I was in Salem, MA this weekend and we were supposed to stay until tomorrow, but decided to cut the trip short and come home today instead. NYC looks like is is basically shutting down and all the bridges were closing.

Today my dad secured things around here, but trees, flooding, and power loss are always on our minds. Last year we got really lucky in all three areas. A few trees fell but missed our pool and all the fences. Definitely very scary though. We plan to tie our name and phone numbers in the horses' manes in case they get loose and my dad was able to put a door on the new coop so I can move the chickens in avoid the flooding which always happens in the older coops.

My main concern is that I have to work Wednesday and Thursday. I work in EMS, so have to go in no matter what. If the storm is as bad as they are making it sound, I may have issues commuting the hour to go to work, especially since I go through areas which flood on a regular basis.

Stay safe my tri-state friends!

That sounds like it wasn't too bad, Bunnylady. The real problem will probably be when Sandy collides with the arctic storm front heading from the northwest. It could have a big impact inland such as in West Virginia, Pennsylvania and even to Ohio. The coast is predicted to be hard hit all the way to here in southern New England and even farther north. The wind and surf will be the issue on the coast; wind and snow inland where the arctic storm is coming from.
Yes, we knew it was just brushing past here, though at one point they were talking about 5+ inches of rain and tropical storm force winds. We've weathered lots of tropical systems here, and most knew it wasn't going to be more than a nuisance for us - though there wasn't much bread in the grocery store on Friday night.
tongue.png

I don't want to sound like a Debbie Downer but you guys are in for the storm of the century. Please everyone be careful. Don't walk outside if there are trees around, they could fall on you. Make sure you have enough food and water for several days. Keep your chickens in with plenty of food and water.
I've been through some bad hurricanes here in NC, but nothing compared to what this storm will do in Jersey, DelMarVa, Pa, NY, etc. Many of you won't be online since power will go out for several days. Use a car charger to charge your phone. Make sure if using a generator that it's not too close to house or garage. Schools will likely be closed for several days so plan ahead for activities.
Please everyone be safe!

Use a car charger to charge your phone.
I've been wondering, Sue... do the cell phone networks tend to stay up in these storms? I'm an arborist, so I'm wondering how I'm going to get my emergency calls!

Last edited:
cant say what the towers uo there do but when a storm hits here in FLorida cell towers do not work either You may get to text some but that is all. Be careful with our birds If you know yours birds rooster low to the ground or nest low to the ground watch the water levels My friend lost 145 birds this past year due to drowning. Most of his larger birds and ducks would not leave their nests and drowned. His barn sits very high and he has never had flooding issues until Tropical Storm Debbie .

Hi guys! I have been preparing for the worst here. Filled the tub with water so we can flush the toilets, filled the kitchen sink with water so we have water to wash the dishes, did buy paper plates, all stocked up on nonperishables, plus have the ability to cook and make that all important coffee. So now it looks like we wait... All these storms in PA are getting really old!
th.gif

I'm just glad we're dealing with an end-of-hurricane-season storm instead of a true winter nor'easter. When our power goes out, so does our heat. I've been sick for a couple weeks now and obviously the last round of antibiotics didn't do the trick because I can feel it coming back again...grrrrr...and the last thing I'd need is snow to shovel and freezing conditions in the house. Where's a good coat of feathers when you need 'em?

Yeah...I started yesterday, but I dont have much to do but tie a few things down...my grandpa got a total overkill generator that could power a house and a half< so his house is pretty much the hurricane fortress

Back
Top Bottom