Anyone setting eggs on or near today (May 17th)?

Tuesday will be day seven for my polish eggs, and I plan to candle them then. This is my first time hatching, and I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions on how I should candle 34 eggs without disrupting the incubator environment too much? Should I do them in small batches...letting the temp and humidly readjust between batches? Or do them all at once so their is only one period of disruption? I'm just worrying about opening the incubator too long or too often. How would you handle candling 34 eggs in a hova bator genesis? Thanks.

I candled mine last night and I left the bator open until I was finished. (about 15 mins) the temp only dropped a few degrees in that time period because I have a broody with a baby in the same room so it's nice and warm in there. The temp went back up within a few minutes of putting the top back on.

So far I can tell 10 are developing. It is still early for me (last night was day 5) so I'm waiting until after day 7 or 10 before I toss any. Good thing these eggs were free... 10 out of 41 isn't too swift.
sad.png

Now, after that bummer of a BCM hatch, put 7 Olive Eggers in the Brinsea Eco Advance on the 17th...so far, 6 of 7 are definitely developing! Yippee!!! Last night put 5 Olive Eggers and 5 B/B/BS Pure Ameraucanas in the styrofoam bator.

Crossing fingers for a full brooder in June...

I candled a few of mine last night but quit before doing all of them.. most of the shells were so thick I couldnt see thru them. the ones I could see thru had veins so I guess Ill have to hope on the rest.
roll.png

I just candled all 16 of mine for the first time tonight.. (well, other than when I got them), and I have 10 that are developing! Yay, I'm happy with that, as long as I don't lose too many more. The other 6 were clear, but I think I will keep them in one more week, just because I like to be 100% certain.. I'm 99% now..LOL...

Best of luck to everyone! It was so cool candling them, I seen most of them move around in there too. I might have to pull a couple out to show my boys tomorrow night
smile.png

On May 3rd I put 7 Mille fleur d'uccle eggs under my broody Mille hen hopefully they will hatch tomarrow or the next day this is my first experience with this.

Hey everyone - just wondering how we're all going? Anyone candled again? I'm about to candle all of mine again as I'm on day 14. I have to build myself a proper candler though as my little flash light just wont work now I dont think. Hope everyones babies are coming along as planned
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom