Anyone tried screwing waterer nipples directly to garden hose?

Chickenbotham

In the Brooder
May 30, 2018
Hi all. First post here :)
I'm thinking of buying waterer nipples and screwing them directly into pre-drilled holes in a standard garden hose. The hose will be connected to a water barrel slightly higher than the hose, not connected to the mains water.
My question is if anyone has tried or if you think they would screw into a garden hose. I saw many of the nipples available are 5cm long, so the part that is inserted might be 2cm (probably too long) but there are some that are 3cm long and the screw part is only a 9.5mm diameter.

I've seen a lot of people screw the nipples into PVC pipes which will be my second option but I'm really hoping to screw them into a hose if possible. My coop is only just big enough for the amount of chickens I want (but heaps of run space) so I'm trying to save every little inch of space and like the flexibility/portability of a hose.
Thanks!

You could screw the nipples into a hose, BUT there are other issues the may arise. A pvc pipe is rigid and the nipples will stay in the position placed. Horizontal, or vertical, as chosen. A hose will not be as stable to keep nipples at desired position. Meaning the hose can twist.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Given the relatively small size of the coop, do you think you need water in there? If they're just going to be sleeping in there, maybe you could just put the water and feed in the run?
:)

Given the relatively small size of the coop, do you think you need water in there? If they're just going to be sleeping in there, maybe you could just put the water and feed in the run?
:)
Good point. That's an option. The coop is 1.5x1.3m for 5 or 6 hens. I was going to have a waterer in the run too. The reason I was thinking of a separate waterer in the coop is that the coop is closable. I haven't kept chickens before and was thinking there might be some situations where I'll need to close the coop up. Maybe on cold nights (-8 celcius / 17 farenheit is the coldest we get). Also during heavy rain, the chickens would have to go via an exposed part before they reach the undercover part of the run. But perhaps chickens are more hardy than I think :)

I'd be more worried about closing up at night to keep predators and drafts out. As long as you can let them out in the morning, though, they should be fine, I guess it depends how long past first light you like to sleep on weekends.

Mine don't seem to mind the rain too much and after the first year I don't close them up until it gets down to less than -10degC, but my run is very secure and the chicken door does not generate drafts in the coop.

You could just try it and if you feel like they're awake and thirsty long before you let them out you can install an inside waterer.

You could screw the nipples into a hose, BUT there are other issues the may arise. A pvc pipe is rigid and the nipples will stay in the position placed. Horizontal, or vertical, as chosen. A hose will not be as stable to keep nipples at desired position. Meaning the hose can twist.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome
Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. I heard the nipple leak if they're not pointing straight down, so a hose might not work.

I'd be more worried about closing up at night to keep predators and drafts out. As long as you can let them out in the morning, though, they should be fine, I guess it depends how long past first light you like to sleep on weekends.

Mine don't seem to mind the rain too much and after the first year I don't close them up until it gets down to less than -10degC, but my run is very secure and the chicken door does not generate drafts in the coop.

You could just try it and if you feel like they're awake and thirsty long before you let them out you can install an inside waterer.

My run is pretty predator-proof (at least I hope it is). The door from their coop to their run is short and under the height of their roosting bar but I guess on the cold windy nights I would like to close it.

If that is your coop in Avatar,,, I see that you have the ventilation properly located at top. You may not encounter drafts, from the small pop door open into run area. You must also understand the difference between drafts, and air movement. Drafts ruffle the chickens' feathers. Air movement is gentle and that is most necessary year round. Removes moisture and ammonia in the winter. Removes same in summer in addition to excess heat.
My run is pretty predator-proof (at least I hope it is). The door from their coop to their run is short and under the height of their roosting bar but I guess on the cold windy nights I would like to close it.
When the winds are fierce, I agree. :thumbsup

You could screw the nipples into a hose, BUT there are other issues the may arise. A pvc pipe is rigid and the nipples will stay in the position placed. Horizontal, or vertical, as chosen. A hose will not be as stable to keep nipples at desired position....

I think that you will find that the most trouble you'll have when using a water hose to supply your water nipples is the excess water pressure in street or municipal water. This can be overcome by using pressure regulators but I do believe that you will need to install pressure regulators to step down the water pressure.

I think that you will find that the most trouble you'll have when using a water hose to supply your water nipples is the excess water pressure in street or municipal water. This can be overcome by using pressure regulators but I do believe that you will need to install pressure regulators to step down the water pressure.
I won't be connecting it to municipal water. Just a rain barrel slightly raised.

Back
Top Bottom