Anyone use a small electric snowblower in their run?

path.otto

Songster
6 Years
Jul 10, 2017
Mason City, IA
If you have a huge run and a wide gate in your run this thread probably won't apply to you. However, I have a 9 x 12 run from Omlet. The door is only 18" - 20" wide, much too narrow for our regular snowblower. As long as the snowfall only totals 3" or so I leave the tarp on and rake the snow off as necessary. I'm wondering if those small 12'-13" electric snowblowers would work for bigger snows? I keep tarps on the north and west wall where the prevailing weather comes from, the coop shelters the east side and I leave the south side open.

Has anyone had experience with small electric snowblowers or an opinion at least? I love to share my opinions so here's your chance! Thanks!

If you have a huge run and a wide gate in your run this thread probably won't apply to you. However, I have a 9 x 12 run from Omlet. The door is only 18" - 20" wide, much too narrow for our regular snowblower. As long as the snowfall only totals 3" or so I leave the tarp on and rake the snow off as necessary. I'm wondering if those small 12'-13" electric snowblowers would work for bigger snows? I keep tarps on the north and west wall where the prevailing weather comes from, the coop shelters the east side and I leave the south side open.

Has anyone had experience with small electric snowblowers or an opinion at least? I love to share my opinions so here's your chance! Thanks!
I live in Northern Minnesota back in the woods - I have 4 snowblowers and the little electric one works just fine - I use it around the coop where the bigger ones won't fit. If I do get heavier snows I just blow it off in layers - Got mine at Home Deot

Hi, aart, yes, out of the run. I have plenty of room to blow snow out of the run and then if necessary we can blow that snow even further away with the tractor or big snowblower. Since the chickens can't sit around and eat bonbons or watch reality TV (thank heavens) I want to get them out of the coop. We've blown out some paths that I put straw on, but because of the hawks and eagles I need to be out there with them. Not always practicable.

Hi, aart, yes, out of the run.
Does it go thru run mesh or over top or....video please :D

I shovel parts of run, chucking snow thru the 2x4 welded wire walls.
full

My snow thrower won't fit thru run door :gig
1579820415031.png

If the run is 9x12, wouldn't it be easier to just shovel? :oops: Granted I don't get snow all winter, but when it snows, I shovel.

And yes I'm also curious as to where the snow gets blown to!

It would be blown into a prairie. Through the mesh. Our tractor is a JD 425, no way it's getting in the run, nor is the JD TRS24. The summer tarp is off and there are tarps around
IMG_20180607_194505.jpg

The West and North sides. Top and South are open now that I'm getting more snow each episode.

@rosemarythyme, Simpler? Maybe. Easier? Definitely not! :lol:

Well I do tend to approach things as directly as possible... Was just shoveling all last week. Shoveled daily in the run, shoveled a path for my hubby's car (which doesn't sound like much, except the house is in the very back of 4 acres). I even shoveled out a turn in lane for the mailman to get to the mailboxes. My arms felt like soggy noodles for days.

Back
Top Bottom