Anyone wanna talk about how high a goose can fly? Lol

PhantomSlayer

Songster
Aug 22, 2022
Michigan
I became aware this year that Geese can infact jump. Atleast 2 feet considering our buff american goose Gizzy cleared a baby gate to terrorize a broody hen who we let hatch 2 of her goose eggs.

We always knew Gizzy could clear some heights. Shes nearly hit the side of our house and nearly cleared a chevy tahoe roof as well. Well today they were separated into roughly a 10 ft by 15 ft pen with 6 ft cattle fencing. Its going to be their new pen so we can let them out more often without battling chickens. We have yet to put netting over the top and just put them in during the day. Well somehow Gizzy cleared that.

Anyone else have a goose that seems to keep clearing heights that they shouldn't? I always heard they need longer distances to clear heights compared to wild geese.

She must have been mad because the chickens were free ranging lol

There's a pond by our local Applebees. Several years ago someone dumped an Embden gander there. He would fly about a half mile with the Canada geese to a nearby pasture. In a local park a Canada gander paired with a Toulouse goose. They raised 3 crossbreds that flew with the Canada flocks for several years. The Toulouse goose was lost to predation.

Mine don’t fly very often though, probably because steering and landing seem to be trickier than takeoff.
I believe that another factor is the weight of 'full fed' domestic geese. The flying geese I mentioned were on a grass only diet and were far more trim than most domestics.

There's a pond by our local Applebees. Several years ago someone dumped an Embden gander there. He would fly about a half mile with the Canada geese to a nearby pasture. In a local park a Canada gander paired with a Toulouse goose. They raised 3 crossbreds that flew with the Canada flocks for several years. The Toulouse goose was lost to predation.
Crazy. We don't have a big enough pond nearby by we would have an canada geese to have near ours. Gizzy could probably do a half mile if she tried tbh lol She only stops because our gander Gus is a toulouse whose to fat to clear 2 feet so he starts calling for her and freaking out because shes to far away lol.

Most of mine can average about 6 feet, Delphi has gone up to about 8 ft then flew down to the lower yard where she crash landed in an apple tree, both times! 😂
Mine don’t fly very often though, probably because steering and landing seem to be trickier than takeoff.
Partridge in a pear tree meet goose in a apple tree XD

8 feet is crazy! We live on a hill and we do have a apple tree thats lower. Hoping Gizzy doesnt become a goose in a apple tree lol

I believe that another factor is the weight of 'full fed' domestic geese. The flying geese I mentioned were on a grass only diet and were far more trim than most domestics.
I imagine. I would like to trim back their diet to more grass but until we have them separated from our chickens thats not happening lol. Their also huge carb hogs. They see any sort of bread or pasta they go nuts.

Its another reason I'm stunned by how much height Gizzy keeps clearing lol

Back
Top Bottom