Anyone Want a Good Poultry Guardian Dog?

How much does it cost to feed a litter? Well, enough that our rescue has gotten TWO entire litters in in the last couple months because people didn't sell them right away and didn't want to pay to keep feeding them.

To me, this is entirely too sad....

The male dog is in with the sheep. When we saw what she was doing, we put a drag on her, but that didn't work. She is normally not in with the sheep. She escaped from her collar. No, I don't expect much from her, but my male will not correct her, and I work.

I realize that she will eventually grow out of this. I recognize the difference between prey drive and play. My only other recourse is to put her in a kennel that she cannot climb out of...We tried penning her---it's amazing how well she can climb.

I had thought to have a better life experience for the dog than being cooped up in a kennel. I paid big money for this dog, Oregon blues. She is not junk. She would be great with poultry only, is the only reason I posted. She does NOT try to kill the lambs, just play with them. She is a puppy. Once again, she doesn't show any prey drive. I know the difference.

I KNOW how much it costs to raise a litter of Anatolian puppies. I wouldn't be in this situation if my big female had not ingested a poisoned rat. Anatolian pups are not just a financial drag. A litter of puppies brings in more than my sheep do...

I have been TRYING to teach her. I would not attempt to re-home her if I thought anything else beside time would work. This is not my first rodeo.

No, I don't expect much from her, but my male will not correct her, and I work.

I paid big money for this dog,

A litter of puppies brings in more than my sheep do...
Ok, some dogs won't correct others. Particularly a male with a female pup. Too bad you don't have a tough girl dog to put her in with.
I hope you realize you are likely to have the same problem with another one if you are not able to spend the time with them that they need. A "natural" isnt all that common and you don't know till you have them there if they will do this or not.

If you paid big money for this dog, chances are you have a return clause in the contract. If the breeder requires she be returned, I hope you would honor that.

A litter of pups only brings in what the market allows. Right now that's not much. Even the breeders who have very high end working/show/health tested dogs are breeding less often due to less demand and selling for less than expected right now.

If you seriously want to rehome this dog, you must place an ad in the proper Buy/Sell/Trade section of the forum. Sorry she isn't working out for you. Maybe others can help you with the training and she can be refocused somehow.

Quote: No, she won't.
She needs to be TRAINED, and it needs to be done NOW, or she will be worthless.

Quote: Breeding a worthless dog gets you more worthless dogs.
You cannot ethically breed her for at LEAST another year and a half

Do yourself and the dog a favor and sell her to someone who NEEDS a dog, and has both the time and the knowledge to train it.

hold on a minute....let me get this straight, you bought a guardian dog and hoping it lives up to it's breed reputation/ purpose without training?:D

I saw one of these types of dogs on craigs list for free.I already have 2 dogs otherwise I would have snatched it up despite the grooming it needs.

do not breed a dog this young please, your expectations of her to high also real big shame because in the right hands this breed is the best predator defense there is.

Last edited:
Just because it is a LG doesn't mean that it knows what to do. You have to show it. Is your male an adult? If so he can't train her either. Did you get her to just breed? I saw on our humane society has like 10 up for adoption. Some are even in other states. So if any one wants to adopt one. Look under petfind.com zip code 44691

From Bear Foot Farm:
Quote: No, she won't.
She needs to be TRAINED, and it needs to be done NOW, or she will be worthless.

Quote: Breeding a worthless dog gets you more worthless dogs.
You cannot ethically breed her for at LEAST another year and a half

Do yourself and the dog a favor and sell her to someone who NEEDS a dog, and has both the time and the knowledge to train it.

And from Oregon Blues:
Is she show quality? Have her hips and elbows been OFAed? Eyes CERFed? Von Willdebrands DNAed?

She has proven she is no good as a livestock guardian, so why would you want to breed her? What will the pups be good for? Not to sell as livestock guardians, with a clear conscience.

A person would have to be crazy to take a "free" dog and then get stuck with an entire litter (minus the best pick) of puppies to try to re-home. Does the new home get all the expense of raising a litter, too? All the expensive food? The vet bills? The possible C-section? The risk of the new pet dying while whelping?

Wow. Cringing here to think how much it would cost to feed a litter of Anatolians.

Seriously, if you want to re-home her, send her out with a spay contract. If you want to breed her, keep her yourself and pay all the bills yourself, scoop all the puppy poop yourself, and do the work of re-homing the litter yourself.

TIMES TEN!!! If you are unable to train this dog, what in the world makes you think you could train one of her puppies???? Training does not consist of tying a drag to a dog, training requires time, skill and effort. In my opinion, it would be HIGHLY unethical (and cruel) to EVER breed this dog and try to pawn off the puppies as "livestock guardians". Why in the H do you want to bring more low-quality puppies into a world that is already overflowing with them? Very very wrong thinking on your part, judyc... please don't be another one of those "breeders" who is in it solely for the $$$$

Back
Top Bottom