Anyone Want a Good Poultry Guardian Dog?

judyc

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Lafayette, IN
Here is the situation. I purchased a purebred Anatolian Sheperd female puppy back in November. I asked for the shyest pup in the litter, but the gal met me half-way, so I have no idea if my instructions were followed.

Since then, the pup has developed the habit of chasing the sheep she's supposed to protect! We first put a drag on her, then put her on a cable out of the sheep's pasture and in with the ducks and chickens. She is FINE with poultry; no chase, totally ignores them.

She IS bonded to livestock. When she got loose today (we were gone) she dug under the fence to get IN with the sheep. We came home to one newborn ewe lamb that had been dragged through the dirt, and another, bigger ewe lamb with a gimpy leg. I don't think the newborn is going to make it.

Now, if anyone wants a guardian dog just for poultry, she would be wonderful. Ideally, the person who would want her would keep her entire long enough to breed to my big male. I would then get the pick of the litter, and the new owner would get the rest of the litter to sell.

We are in Northwestern Indiana, near Crawfordsville. Pm me if you would be interested in a poultry guardian.

There is someone else looking for a goat, sheep, chicken guard... I posted in that thread you can check my post if you wish- that may not work out tho.

here it is: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/637919/dogs

maybe just birthing mothers need to be away? was the 'older' ewe running well before the attack?

Is it possible something else hurt them and the pup went in to run off the bad thing?

Last edited:
No, she would not work with sheep or goats until she grows up. (another year or two)

I've had her out with me with the sheep and turned around to find her dragging a little lamb across the pasture. It unfortunately IS her.

She has no prey drive--she doesn't try to kill them. She just wants to play. However, play from a good-sized pup is pretty tough on a tiny lamb. I think this last one has damage to her spine. She cannot get up. I have her jugged with the ewe now, but I don't expect her to make it through the night. I gave her Nutri-drench, electrolyte, ringers, and B complex, but I don't think it's just stress.

The pup would be a great guardian for poultry, but Hubby says if she does for one more lamb, she's dead.

Is she show quality? Have her hips and elbows been OFAed? Eyes CERFed? Von Willdebrands DNAed?

She has proven she is no good as a livestock guardian, so why would you want to breed her? What will the pups be good for? Not to sell as livestock guardians, with a clear conscience.

A person would have to be crazy to take a "free" dog and then get stuck with an entire litter (minus the best pick) of puppies to try to re-home. Does the new home get all the expense of raising a litter, too? All the expensive food? The vet bills? The possible C-section? The risk of the new pet dying while whelping?

Wow. Cringing here to think how much it would cost to feed a litter of Anatolians.

Seriously, if you want to re-home her, send her out with a spay contract. If you want to breed her, keep her yourself and pay all the bills yourself, scoop all the puppy poop yourself, and do the work of re-homing the litter yourself.

If only we weren't so far apart :(. This breed looks gorgeous! I hop you get a good outcome to your situation.

how old is she?? sounds like she is young. The behavior you are describing is pretty typical for a puppy who is left unattended with livestock.
I'd recommend contacting watchdogps. She is an Anatolian breederr and can probably give you some good advice about your girl

Last edited:
She's only what? Six months old? She's too young to expect much from her. Of COURSE she is playing with the lambs, they are the perfect size and they run away! Yay!
You have a male, is he in with her? If he is good with the lambs, most LGD adults will kick a puppy's patootie if they pull that crap.
Take a step back, remove her, keep her supervised and TEACH her, dont just throw her in with them.

There is a good book you can purchase at www.asdrl.org

She has proven she is no good as a livestock guardian, so why would you want to breed her? What will the pups be good for? Not to sell as livestock guardians, with a clear conscience.

Wow. Cringing here to think how much it would cost to feed a litter of Anatolians.

Yep! If she is not good with stock, she really shouldn't be bred. I don't yet have stock besides poultry and didnt have that before, but I DID take my dogs to my friends farms and expose them to various livestock to be sure they reacted appropriately. If they had chased, I wouldn't have used them. However, I think this pup hasn't been guided properly and that judgement should be tabled until she is worked with further.

How much does it cost to feed a litter? Well, enough that our rescue has gotten TWO entire litters in in the last couple months because people didn't sell them right away and didn't want to pay to keep feeding them.

She's only what? Six months old? She's too young to expect much from her. Of COURSE she is playing with the lambs, they are the perfect size and they run away! Yay!
You have a male, is he in with her? If he is good with the lambs, most LGD adults will kick a puppy's patootie if they pull that crap.
Take a step back, remove her, keep her supervised and TEACH her, dont just throw her in with them.

There is a good book you can purchase at www.asdrl.org

X2! Don't give up yet!

Back
Top Bottom