Anyone Want a Good Poultry Guardian Dog?

To anyone considering taking this dog, she is not safe with poultry. A dog who will maul and kill lambs will soon be mauling and killing poultry.

It is easy to train a dog to be safe around livestock. But once they have mauled and killed livestock, it becomes a major re-training job. It will take a lot of time and attention to turn this into a safe dog, and even with work, I would be reluctant to trust her out of my sight.

Taking this dog on a puppy back deal is not a good deal at all. You get a ton of expense and very likely a bunch of pups you can't place. There are no pet homes available for Anatolians and there are not that many livestock homes that need a puppy. Most people who need a livestock dog will already have one. or else they want to buy from a breeder with proven stock. This dog will always be a dog who has killed lambs and there are not many people with livestock who would touch one of her puppies, even as a free gift,

Maybe she can be retrained and the damage undone. But unfortunately, she has killed lambs and there is no way to know at this point if it is bad training or faulty breeding.

I would never breed her. She removed herself from the breeding pool when she killed lambs.

OP, I suggest that you invest the time yourself to retrain this dog and see if you can salvage her, instead of trying to pass your mistake off to someone else to correct. Perhaps you can undo the damage and turn her into a decent dog.

Last edited:
Quote: I wouldn't say that.

The dog is a PUPPY, doing puppy things with NO supervision and NO training.

That doesn't mean it cannot be a good dog with PROPER training, or produce good pups.in a couple of years from now

As soon as I can find the tripod I'll post my race trained (motion lunge) ex-race dog rescued from the track on leash-

and why I'll never be able to trust her unattended... but attended just fine...

never ever ever... unattended.

Is she show quality? Have her hips and elbows been OFAed? Eyes CERFed? Von Willdebrands DNAed?

She has proven she is no good as a livestock guardian, so why would you want to breed her? What will the pups be good for? Not to sell as livestock guardians, with a clear conscience.

A person would have to be crazy to take a "free" dog and then get stuck with an entire litter (minus the best pick) of puppies to try to re-home. Does the new home get all the expense of raising a litter, too? All the expensive food? The vet bills? The possible C-section? The risk of the new pet dying while whelping?

Wow. Cringing here to think how much it would cost to feed a litter of Anatolians.

Seriously, if you want to re-home her, send her out with a spay contract. If you want to breed her, keep her yourself and pay all the bills yourself, scoop all the puppy poop yourself, and do the work of re-homing the litter yourself.

Your reply is not only inaccurate but also rude. She has issue with young sheep NOT livestock. That is a matter of individuality not breeding. The OP has been upfront, honest and forthright which is far more than most people do these days but there was not need for your last statement whatsoever. If you cannot afford to feed a litter of Anatolians then why respond to this posting, use your back arrow button.

OP wish I were closer. How is she with horses?

To anyone considering taking this dog, she is not safe with poultry. A dog who will maul and kill lambs will soon be mauling and killing poultry.

It is easy to train a dog to be safe around livestock. But once they have mauled and killed livestock, it becomes a major re-training job. It will take a lot of time and attention to turn this into a safe dog, and even with work, I would be reluctant to trust her out of my sight.

Taking this dog on a puppy back deal is not a good deal at all. You get a ton of expense and very likely a bunch of pups you can't place. There are no pet homes available for Anatolians and there are not that many livestock homes that need a puppy. Most people who need a livestock dog will already have one. or else they want to buy from a breeder with proven stock. This dog will always be a dog who has killed lambs and there are not many people with livestock who would touch one of her puppies, even as a free gift,

Maybe she can be retrained and the damage undone. But unfortunately, she has killed lambs and there is no way to know at this point if it is bad training or faulty breeding.

I would never breed her. She removed herself from the breeding pool when she killed lambs.

OP, I suggest that you invest the time yourself to retrain this dog and see if you can salvage her, instead of trying to pass your mistake off to someone else to correct. Perhaps you can undo the damage and turn her into a decent dog.

You are so wrong....really you need to go post elsewhere as clearly you are not interested in this dog so no need to continue with your nonsense. It is nonsense. I have had dogs that would kill calves but never harmed a chicken or duck. You do not know what you are talking about so give it a rest. This dog is still a puppy and needs training not your biased buffalo crap. Sheesh

For those of you with concrete suggestions, thank you. For the others who just wanted to kick me when I was down, Pfffft!

I was keeping the puppy away from the sheep unless I was there. How does that qualify as no training? I was correcting the puppy.

I dug out the old shock collar Thursday, installed new batterries, and started "enhanced" lessons. The following morning, the puppy discovered that the sheep had become ELECTRIC! Even the dead lamb bit her when she came to see it as I removed it from the barn.

I continue to keep her tied near the pasture, but not in it. She continues to be wonderful around poultry, even baby ducks. At night, she is in the barn with the calves. (400#s) but not with the sheep.

We will get through this. She will be a FINE dog in another year or so.

Someone missed an opportunity for a great poultry guardian.

So, it sounds like you are going to try to work through this with her. I am glad. I wasnt meaning to kick anyone, just being realistic. Also, your original post sounded like she had not been supervised properly, thus my reply. Sounds like what you are doing is what she needs. I don't doubt that she is fine with smaller things, LGDs do sometimes have a good sense of what is too tiny to mess with. The lambs were probably just the right size for her to see them as playmates and she just doesnt have the judgement to know when to stop.
Best of luck with her, I hope it works well. Rehoming isnt easy on dogs especially one of a breed that does develop deep bonds like ASDs do.

well OP i hope it all works out well for you
time to train a dog is hard to come up with but so is lambs
got any pictures of the pup ??

piglett

Back
Top Bottom