anyone with any other farm animal babies?

aran

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 28, 2007
rochester ny
I know its kind of a weird request on a chicken site but I have been looking for other little baby farm animals ( would like a pig and a couple of small goats) but have been unable to locate anyone within driving distance of upstate new york.

thanks in advance

aran

I have miniature goats (Nigerian Dwarf) but I am in Mississippi. You should join one of the forums below and you can meet lots of nice folks and find someone near you. You can learn a lot too. Not sure about pigs, I don't have pigs. Here are some links for you.

http://www.goattalk.com/forum/index.php
http://www.goatweb.com/coffeeshop/index.php

There are a ton more. You can email me anytime to ask about goats. I love to talk about them.

Marie

Can't help you locate any. Do you any any classified ad papers? We have American Classifieds where people can list anything they want. Check around at the farm stores or co-ops, what have you for animals for sale.
I'd study up on whatever animals you are interested in so you can learn about the kind of housing, fencing, feed that they would need.
Something to think about though. Pigs, goats, calves, heck, everything gets lonely if they are the only one on the place. Pigs eat better when there are at least two. And goats are very social, they need something or somebody to keep them company!

Try www.craigslist.com

I've used it to rehome my chicks and to look for odds and ends for cheap. Right now, I'm looking for a shed or something that can double as a chicken coop!
lol.png

I second creigslist I got my pygmies from there, also if you find a breed you can look for a club and look for breeders (for goats at least) do you have a co-op or a farm vet near you? talk to them too. try flea markets that are known to have animals and your 4H leaders. Crystal

Last edited:
Well I raise Nigerian Dwarf goats and I can tell you that from my experience, you cannot find healthy happy goats at flea markets in this area. You will find some skinny mistreated goats that have been turned out to pasture and hardly handled and barely fed. If you want a pet, you need to know the person you are getting the goats from and ask a lot of questions. There is more to it than most folks think. They need to be vaccinated and their hooves trimmed and be wormed. When the babies are born, if you breed, you have to decide whether or not to disbud them (remove the horn buds so they won't develope horns). There is a balance to the nutrition and believe it or not, they are pretty picky eaters. Unless they get left out to fin for themselves of course. If you go to the links I gave you there are plenty of responsible breeders there, not backyard breeders, and they will help you find the goats that are right for you no matter what breed you want. I am not advertising for them, I am just telling you from my experience that it helps to have a place like BYC (except for goats) to go to and ask questions. If you want I can post your city and ask if anyone lives near you. You can usually get a wether (castrated male) goat for like $75 and they are registered so they could be shown if you chose to. They have a health guarantee and will have been handled and loved as pets and not lawn mowers. I take this very serious because I have seen so much in my process of getting and raising goats. Please let me know if I can be of help in any way. Do your research first. They do require some work and they would rather have browse (hedges and shrubs and weeds) than grass. Sheep are better for eating grass, they graze like a cow. Good luck in your search.

Marie

A couple of pics for you:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/Goats/Digital200.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/Goats/Digital104.jpg
And Molly, my flea market goat, before:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/Goats/Digital239.jpg
And After:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/marie_martin/Goats/Digital438.jpg

Last edited:
We'll be selling a Toggenburg doeling in about 7 weeks...I don't know if you mean small as in kids, or small in general.
smile.png
Our other Togg is pregnant with "mini-Toggs" (dad is a Nigerian Dwarf) so those will be for sale once she pops. We're in central NJ.

Oh, Mini Toggs have some great milk I bet. I have never seen one in person, but the pictures i have seen are so sweet. You have to post a picture.

Marie

well you are all being very kind with your information so thank you. My wife and I met 19 years ago when I was 15 and she was 16. We met through riding horses and have dreamed over the last 19 years of one day having a little hobby farm with a couple of horses, a couple of goats ( really dont mind which breed as long as they are friendly) and of course the chickens! So now I am finishing up my residency (3 weeks to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) we have a little 5.5acre farmlet and we are living the dream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I would love to learn more about the goat keeping and yes we would definitely get at least 2 goats and at least 2 pigs if we get pigs...i did some reading last night, they seem like VERY high maintenance.

I have an awesome place for the goats to live and my kids and my wife and I are all animal lovers and will be giving these animals homes for the rest of their lives.

I will check out the links you sent me MM thanks.
Zoooteacher...not sure that I will be ready in 7 weeks for babies--> have yet to finish fencing the field although I do have temporary electric fencing equiptment which would work I guess. How much is a mini togg?

holy cow MM...the pic with the little white guy and the little black guy with the white face--> my 6 year old son would lose his mind if he thought we could get goats that cute. I see what you mean about the flea market goat being thin when you got her...still, she looks awesome now! I also love those little brown ones too!

Do you breed them and sell the babies also?

Back
Top Bottom