Anything i can do???

chickenwoods

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
**||OKLAHOMA||**
When my dominiker roo breeds my white leghorn, he grabs ahold of her comb with his beak, and actually brings blood!,Her comb is full of soars and gouges,She is the only one i have problems with because her comb is SOOO much bigger then the rest of my hens...

How often does he breed her? Can you tape her comb? You know, sort of give him something to hang on to without hurting her...If you do try it and it works, take a picture of her new head gear...
big_smile.png

LOL,Maybee putting a big peice of duct tape on her comb would solve my rooster wanting to breed her!!!lol
I spend about an hour 1/2 with my chickens a day and he breeds her at least 4 times in that time..Is that alot?? I also have 5 more hens he breeds too,I will be adding 6 more soon,and then 19 more.

Maybe if you spray some BluKote on her comb it would help it heal and I've heard chickens don't like the taste of it so maybe he'll stop grabbing hold of her comb. It's actually made for horses but lots of folks use it for chickens, it can be found at your local feed store.

I bet your roo will breed her less when the other girls arrive, but until then, try the tape or the BluKote and tell us how they work.

Back
Top Bottom