Anything I Should Do About This?

Wawa Coffee

Chirping
Jul 1, 2017
So this guy seems to want to get at my chickens. Anything I should do about this or is it just part of the deal?

SCe6t5z.jpg

If they are restricted to your run, then its nothing to worry about. If you free range them, then it could become an issue. If find that birds of prey hang around for extended periods if they have had success at catching prey in a particular area. If not, they soon move on.

Providing lots of ground cover is very useful in fending off arial attacks.

I'll mention that if you are In the US raptors are federally protected. It's pretty serious if you are caught harming one. That's often a good thing to know before you do something.

As PPK said, if they are behind a good barrier it's not a big deal. But any time they are not behind a good barrier they are at risk. There are a lot of other predators out there than hawks once you let them out from behind their barriers. That's just part of having chickens.

Predators are part of life. Some people are OK with losing chickens every now and then, some people are not. I'm in the "not OK" group, so I do not allow my hens to free range. They have very secure coops and runs, fitted with netting over the top to stop aerial attacks, and that is where they stay. Some people like to free range, which is great, but there is a risk that a predator will get one or more. And you know, predators can be really clever and strong, like say a bear, and they can sometimes get your chickens no matter what you do.

You just do the best you can.

All good info gang - thanks!

@Zoomie - I feel similar. I'm trying to avoid losing a hen if at all possible so no I guess no free- ranging for me.

Thanks again!

How old are the birds inside the run?

That looks to be a Coopers hawk, who would be after birds up to about half grown or larger. But your birds look to be safe enough inside THAT run.

If I could make one suggestion it would be to replace the cement blocks around the perimeter with a wire apron. OK as is, but in my opinion, the apron is more secure.

It is hawk season here too. By hawk season I mean fledging time not hunting the hawks time.

Many adults teaching young to hunt and some seriously freaked out hens.

I keep mine locked up too. Sad for them but much safer.

How old are the birds inside the run?

That looks to be a Coopers hawk, who would be after birds up to about half grown or larger. But your birds look to be safe enough inside THAT run.

If I could make one suggestion it would be to replace the cement blocks around the perimeter with a wire apron. OK as is, but in my opinion, the apron is more secure.

Buried under those concrete blocks are....more concrete blocks! I went down 6" to be safe. Still not as good as an apron. I have tons of foxes too. :(

Back
Top Bottom