APA/ABA culture for Newcomers

Quote: Ok, so its becoming a little more clear.

The answer to your question about my Faverolles is that she is obviously a Faverolles if you look at her type or silhouette as you say is necessary to determine if the chicken is more than just a chicken. I never said she was excellent, just I could identify her typi-ness (is that even a word?) on a lineup of different chicken types--since I am not supposed to use the word breed, but boy this is cumbersome! Maybe I am just more lenient or accepting when I read and interpret the SOPs than an APA person?

I am beginning to see this nugget of differences between the APA view and perhaps the modern view of the 'new' chicken keepers. There certainly seems to be a huge backyard chicken movement (just look at how popular BYC is) and sustainability focus over the last decade--I do think many people grow weary of factory farming and want to know where their food comes from and feel more in touch. I think I am one of these. I have a trophy my Grand Dad and Great Grand Dad won at the Stock Show back in the early part of the 20th century for best Barred Rock, but I myself have only been raising chickens for about 5 years. I am curious about the APA and have a huge amount of respect for breeders--its a lot of work! I also see the APA as the caretakers of the breeds (or is that type?) as they keep the standard for all to refer to. That is really important. I am not convinced however, that my Grand Dad, who was very practical, would have disregarded production and focused only on type--I would bet anything that he was in to the sustainability at least as much as the type if not more. I will try to sum it up, forgive me if I get it wrong.

-The APA sees the chickens as a type most importantly, and the individual chicken will be viewed as belonging to a type like this is a good example of a Faverolles type...or not. It does not matter if my girl only lays medium 50 eggs a year so long as she has the proper type and amount of feathering and looks good, So productivity is not really a factor in how well the 'breeds' place at show or how successful the breeder is at their job. If I remember right, a breeder put a ....Rhode Island White... into a show as a White Rock and won ( I could have the breeds mixed up). So if a bird is inferior in one type it could be a very good outcross for another type. The original breed doesn't mean anything, just what the individual looks like.

-The new 'breeds' that you are warning people to stay away from if folks want to be a part of the APA culture appear to have a few traits and a focus that is different than the standard type and conformity to type focus of the APA. I see 3 distinct groupings within the 'bad' breeds and perhaps your biggest warning against them is that they so not have as clearly a defined type as the APA accepted breeds and that is not their main focus or attraction. Here is how I see them grouped:
1-Chickens from a country that a person may have an interest, love or heritage in and thus the breed is attractive to the new chicken owner becasue of this connection
a) Landrace breeds: may be quite old from other countries and could be considered Heritage breeds in that land--most specifically I am looking at the Icelandic and Swedish Flower Hen. These breeds were selected by nature to be tough and hardy as their most important feature and look generally the same but may have a lot of type variability within the breed--its whatever survived and thrived.
b) Country of Origin Breeds: breeds that hail from a specific region or country and have specific unique traits examples are Sulmtaler (Medieval German regional bird noted for its flesh), Bresse (the flesh is supposed to be the best for French cooking), Appenzellers-Spitzhaubens (the crest mimics the ceremonial hats from that region on Switzerland) etc
2-Chickens that are autosexing--all of the x-bars--these are very attractive to the new chicken breeder who doesn't have room to grow out lots of chickens and wants a productive line that will allow them to reliably cull their flock early (like at hatch) and be sustainable. The only APA accepted breed that is somewhat autosexing that I am aware of is the Welsummer though there may be others--the barring layers a second autosexing trait on top to make it more reliable.
3-eye candy: pretty new colorations of traditional 'breeds'/varieties : Gold/buff laced black, blue laced red, 'legbar' (which is ironic because legbar is not a color) etc- these are colors that are pretty to the small flock owners and allows them to keep a variety of chickens in their backyards with the reliability of them being similar but different--like 6 different color combos of Brahma for instance. Sort of the opposite of breeding for type--this person wants controlled variety.

I am confused about your placing of the Iowa Blues in the 'bad' group since I seem to recall that they are a Heritage breed of sorts just not accepted into the APA. Perhaps its because they never got into the SOP and only are recently regaining popularity and this are more rare and consequently expensive?

Looking at the groupings, these birds may appeal to the non-APA person becasue they may have a cultural/historical value (they are Heritage in their own Country, just not of American derivation), they are pretty to look at and not as conformist, or they are production/sustainability based (at least for the autosexing and landrace ones). None of these traits which are features of the 'bad' breeds are important in the APA culture.

What do you think? Did I get any of it right?

Last edited:
I would like to see the thread stay on topic. The topic that was intended by the OP.

If there is issue with those views, perhaps another thread would be more fitting.

I'm sorry that you feel that I strayed from the topic. I am still trying to figure out what 'culture' means and what the 'culture' of the APA is and to that end I have asked some questions and tried to sum up my understanding. I am trying to decide if I should become one of those newcomers. Will I be welcomed if my ideas are different from the 'culture'--whatever it may be? Would I be a detriment to the culture and a problem? I have x-bars and I was told that that is anti-APA. So should I join? Not sure at this point.

Last edited:
Yellow House Farm, thanks again for your answers. I am starting to understand what you are trying to get across. Still would love a mission statement if you got one!

I am just coming to understand the difference between breed (type) and variety and think I had them interlaced. Your explanation was really meaty and I am looking forward to your expansion on 'variety'! I seem to recall that at a show color is a minor contributing factor--could you remind me how much color counts in the overall score?

I didn't realize there was a schism. Was this about the time that sexlinks were being developed? I think that was around the 1920's? This is fascinating.

I am trying to decide if I should become one of those newcomers. Will I be welcomed if my ideas are different from the 'culture'--whatever it may be? Would I be a detriment to the culture and a problem? I have x-bars and I was told that that is anti-APA. So should I join? Not sure at this point.

I would love to get a mission statement or elevator pitch to give me a very brief summary of the culture, but Yellow House Farm wasn't able to give it to me, although he was wonderful in other ways to help me understand. Do you understand the culture well enough you could give me a synopsis of the culture?
Here is a link to the mission statement of the APA: http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/mission_statement.htm

You can go to an APA show and see for yourself. The fact that you raise a breed that is not in the standard is simply not going to be of interest to fanciers of standard bred poultry. It would be similar to taking a cross bred dog to an AKC show.

If you decide to raise a breed that is accepted in the APA standard, then you will fit more into the "culture".

Here is a link to the mission statement of the APA: http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/mission_statement.htm

You can go to an APA show and see for yourself. The fact that you raise a breed that is not in the standard is simply not going to be of interest to fanciers of standard bred poultry. It would be similar to taking a cross bred dog to an AKC show.

If you decide to raise a breed that is accepted in the APA standard, then you will fit more into the "culture".

The whole idea is to take the lemons that were imported (they are a historical breed in England) and make lemonade. Many of us are trying to get the imports up to snuff and have been working very hard with some of the establishment in the APA to do it right. It is disappointing to hear that they are dismissed entirely and think that the 'culture' is looking at the original importer and those that are trying to cash in on inflated prices at the beginning while disregarding the folks that are doing their best to improve the breed. The ebay non-sense is not the core of the breed. My first set of hatching eggs was given to me--like for free--from a breeder I didn't even know to get me started. The CL Club is actively working with 4H to get the breed out there. Huge amount of work by dedicated people trying to do the right thing. There are lots of really wonderful people who are not trying to make a mint working to get the breed recognized.

I am here to understand the process better. The APA is vital to the protection of the breed, actually. There is a process to get new poultry admitted to the SOP and it is a long, slow road that's for sure. Even AKC admits new breeds for time to time
smile.png

The whole idea is to take the lemons that were imported (they are a historical breed in England) and make lemonade. Many of us are trying to get the imports up to snuff and have been working very hard with some of the establishment in the APA to do it right. It is disappointing to hear that they are dismissed entirely and think that the 'culture' is looking at the original importer and those that are trying to cash in on inflated prices at the beginning while disregarding the folks that are doing their best to improve the breed.

I am here to understand the process better. The APA is vital to the protection of the breed, actually. There is a process to get new poultry admitted to the SOP and it is a long, slow road that's for sure.
I wish you luck and patience.

I learned not to let some people in the APA squash my goals. Some have been very friendly and extremely helpful. Others have laughed or ridiculed or ignored me. You do have to toughen up.

I wish you luck and patience.

I learned not to let some people in the APA squash my goals. Some have been very friendly and extremely helpful. Others have laughed or ridiculed or ignored me. You do have to toughen up.
That is very kind of you. I have learned to toughen up over the years through the school of hard knocks--helps to give you a scar tissue rhino hide
smile.png

I have been amazed at how wonderful and patient most of the APA folks have been. Since I have never shown before and my quality is not high enough to show yet, I went to one just to learn the process. A Leghorn exhibitor, who also is an APA judge, took the time as he was setting his own cages up to walk me through his routine and explain it to me. He was very generous with his time and didn't know me from Adam. There are others that are negative, but I have told myself that it is a very long (I am guessing 10 years), rocky (YHF is 100% right about the pinched squirrel tails and underweight frames among other things that are too numerous to list) row to hoe and sometimes you learn the most from a negative but honest review.

my apologies to @gjensen for getting off topic again
hide.gif

Last edited:
The whole idea is to take the lemons that were imported (they are a historical breed in England) and make lemonade. Many of us are trying to get the imports up to snuff and have been working very hard with some of the establishment in the APA to do it right. It is disappointing to hear that they are dismissed entirely and think that the 'culture' is looking at the original importer and those that are trying to cash in on inflated prices at the beginning while disregarding the folks that are doing their best to improve the breed. The ebay non-sense is not the core of the breed. My first set of hatching eggs was given to me--like for free--from a breeder I didn't even know to get me started. The CL Club is actively working with 4H to get the breed out there. Huge amount of work by dedicated people trying to do the right thing. There are lots of really wonderful people who are not trying to make a mint working to get the breed recognized.

I am here to understand the process better. The APA is vital to the protection of the breed, actually. There is a process to get new poultry admitted to the SOP and it is a long, slow road that's for sure. Even AKC admits new breeds for time to time
smile.png
My last post was probably out of line. It was not my business to tend to.

What I noticed about your post before was a number of debate points, softened at the end by a question. I have seen these discussions over and again, and they never get anywhere because the two sides are always deeply entrenched.
I also thought the OPs original intent was to educate interested newcomers on what membership had to offer. Not a forum to debate what was wrong with the system.

Look, concerning getting a breed recognized is not a matter of opinion. It is a matter of meeting certain criteria. It is not up to the tastes of individuals, but whether the criteria can be met. The criteria is set up to be difficult. It would be awful for it to be otherwise. Then every backyard color project would be admitted, and it would be chaos. The Standard would be full of breeds and varieties that no one has any interest it, or any real commitment to. There is already many neglected breeds in the Standard. Why water it down?

There is nothing wrong with being most interested in a breed or variety that is not recognized. There is also nothing wrong with bringing them to a show, and giving the breed or variety exposure. It would certainly help if the bird(s) was a good example. First do no harm.

For any breed that newcomers (like myself) have decided to support, needs a long term commitment from people that are going to actually learn how to breed them. Not play pretend. Not talk about it, but actually commit themselves to learning the craft. That does not happen over night. Especially for those of us that did not grow up around it.

If the breed gaining admittance to the Standard would be an eventual goal, joining would be a good place to start. I would encourage everyone working with or learning to work with the breed to join the APA. A lot of people that want to see this or that breed recognized by the association are not even members of the association. That should give them no voice or relevance.

The next point would be patience, commitment, and time. How many newcomers to a breed will have the same level of enthusiasm and commitment five years from now? Time will tell. If the breed has the same or more commitment by qualified breeders over time, they stand a better chance of being successful. The breeders should have to prove themselves, and as a result the birds be proven.

It is not a matter of wishing, wanting, or what is ideal. It is a matter of sticking to it and getting it done. By members that support the association.

Back
Top Bottom