Appearantly 1 of my Ideal chicks has an Upper Respiratory Infection...

Kelly G

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Tampa (Wesley Chapel), Florida
My Coop
My Coop
...ever since the afternoon after I picked them up on Thursday morning, this chick has been a little "off". I think she is one of my Columbian Wyandottes.

I didn't notice anything at first, but then I saw she was sleeping more, shaking her head, and staying close to the heat lamp (while everyone else ran around doing little "chick things"), but she continued to eat and drink regularly. Then, by Thursday evening her right eye was stuck shut and her breathing was becoming labored.

I provide medicated chick starter, clean water 3 times each day, and temps are perfect (90F under the lamps - not hard here in Florida!).

This morning I seperated her from everyone as they were all starting to pick on her. Her breathing is even more labored than before. I gave her food, water, and her own heat lamp - but I don't think she's going to make it. I'll be really, really surprised.

I just hope the other chicks don't get it. If you can think of anything more I can do, let me know. Has anyone else expereinced this? Did your other chicks come down with it as well?

The birds that come from our hatcheries are not "clean" birds, they do not get tested for the CRD issues. Most hatcheries purchase eggs from untested- although NPIP tested flocks.
Its unfortunate, but if you have the antibiotics on hand, I would giver her a bit diluted, this to help her a bit. Do not give the rest any as its not an infection, it is a bacteria that acts as a virus. They are best to work it out themselves but if it comes to a wheezy extremely crackly sounding lungs, it could be a secondary infection that needs treatment.
Most people would cull...its not easy when its emotions!

Good luck and read my article on my home page.
Kel

2 main possibilities:

#1 - Mycoplasma infection, treat w/ antibiotics (Tylan is the best), others will probably get it, but all will probably recover if treated.

#2 - Aspergillosis infection, untreatable, chick will probably die but only susceptible chicks contract it, so it usually doesn't spread very far and the others will likely be fine.

So, in summary: I would treat w/ antibiotics just in case it's Mycoplasma, but hope it's Aspergillosis so it doesn't spread. The medicated feed you give them is only for Coccidia, so it doesn't help w/ respiratory infections.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Quote:
What is the incubation period for mycoplasma? I lost 8 chicks over 3 days with these same symptoms. Ideal will replace or refund them, but only up to day 4 which is tomorrow.

We only had one loss last night and today everyone looks good, so Iʻm hoping its aspergillosis and that we are out of the woods, but any further thoughts would be appreciated. All customer service would say is that it was probably a chilling problem in shipping out of their control but that they would make it right on any losses thru day 4.

Well...she is still alive today - there is a strong will to live...she has sheer determination not to give up. Each night I think that she won't make it, and each morning she is still up, eating, drinking and trying so hard to breathe...I just couldn't give up on anything with that much resolve, so:

Today I went and bought an antibiotic for poultry and mixed it according to the instructions. I can't remember the name (I left it at the barn) but it is supposed to cover Upper Respiratory Infections, Ecoli, and a few other things that I can't remember. Having a horrible memory is really, really annoying!

Keep your fingers crossed. I saw her drinking several times before I left tonight.

I just read this last night. I have a chick that is sneezing so I was searching for add'l info. Did your chick live that was sick last March? Just curious!

I'm having similar problems with one of my chicks, he's sneezing, shaking his head and wiping his beek on the towels. When he shakes his head it's wet and I'm certain if he had hands and thumbs he'd be using a lot of tissues. I haven't seen any breathing problems yet, but if this continues, I can't see that being far off.

My post was from 2 years ago, and I should have updated it. This chick lived through the immediate crisis, but never really thrived. She ended up dying when she reached th e point of lay.

Over the last few years, it has been my experience that chicks that that are sick upon arrival never seem to do well. :-(

I know this was an old thread, but I figured I'd add to it since it comes up when I do a search on respiratory infections in chicks. I have a chick that sounds exactly like the one you were speaking of. It's chick-mates have grown a ton over the past couple weeks, and it hasn't grown a lick. It mostly lays in an awkward looking position, with its whole body heaving from the labor of breathing. Every night I say to myself, she won't make it through the night. And in the morn, there she is, breathing just as labored, eyes closed. Today we introduced two new chicks to the group, and they were picking on her although the original mates never did (if anything, they seemed to nurture her and worry about her). So I separated her out today and put her under a slightly warmer lamp, since she always looks cold and since she is still so small. Tonight she is not moving for food or water, so I truly expect this is it. :( Praying for a little miracle, of course, but also so sad for her suffering.

Back
Top Bottom