Appenzeller Spitzhauben breeder in Florida

I am not sure of any breeders there since I am in PA, but I recently purchased an Appenzeller Spitzhauben from MPC. All of the chicks arrived safe and healthy. It is a beautiful breed! I am excited to see mine grow. Good luck!

Mypetchicken.com

Depending on where you are, the minimum order can be as low as 3. I am in a rural area, I think my minimum order was 7 but I was planning on 10-12 anyway. I am pretty sure there is a minimum order calculator on their website, just enter your zip code.

This is my first time ordering chicks online and having them shipped. I read mostly good reviews. I believe they are a middle man for several hatcheries but you can get fewer chicks in a shipment. I wasn't happy with the communication from them. I would have expected more updates, but that may be just me being a new chick mom.

Overall it was a good experience. I ordered and received 12 live chicks of different breeds. They are now 8 days old and all appear to be in good health.

Hey sorry to bother but have one question. After calling and speaking with MPC I wanted to ask you about these one day old chicks I have ordered. Once I recieve them are there any special instructions with setting them up at home. I plan on keeping them sepreate from the 6 week old barred rocks I have until they have grown up a bit, but as for food do they need any thing special until they get bigger.Any advice you can offer would be great since you have recieved chicks from MPC. I greatly appreciate your help.. Thanks again Steve

This is my first batch of chicks, so I am not an expert by an means, but all 12 are doing well.

My ship date was set for 04-28. They shipped out on Monday and arrived at the post office on Tuesday (even though my tracking said ETA Wednesday). I called the post office the week before to let them know I would be expecting baby chicks and gave them my number to call as soon as the babies arrived. I also called them Tuesday morning to remind them. I did not receive an email from MPC with tracking until after I called them to get it.

I had my brooder set up a few days before the babies arrived. Turn on the heat lamp at least a day before so that everything will be warm. I used a thermometer to get an idea of where to place the heat lamp but adjusted it after based on how the chicks were behaving. I got chick starter/grower feed and sav-a-chick electrolytes to add to the water for the first few days. If you don't have a brooder already, anything will do really. I just used a large cardboard box. I use a red heat lamp. Be sure to read the thread on heat lamp safety. Apparently there are some head lamps that are labeled "shatterproof". They are coated with a chemical and when lit, they let off toxic fumes.

After the chicks arrived, I inspected each one for pasty butt and general health. I dipped each chicks beak in the electrolyte water and placed near the heat lamp. I did not read this until after, but when you first get them, only have the water in the brooder. Keep feed out for a half hour or so until all chicks are drinking well. For the first day, I used paper towels as bedding. Once I saw all chicks were eating well I put pine bedding in. Some people say not to use pine bedding until the chicks are over a week old, some say they use it from day one.

The first few days the chicks had to be inspected frequently because a few had pasty butt and needed cleaned often. After about 3 days most of them had cleared up and didn't need cleaned often. Now I just check each one before bed.

I wasn't sure how much info you were looking for but I hope that helps! When is your ship date? How many did you order?

nope yu answerd all my questions as well as they did at MPC. I ordered a total of 4 chicks two buff polish hens and two appenzeller spetz. What astonished me was the cost of shipping...about double of what I spent on the actual hens....lol oh well I guess it the price of doing buisness.. Thanks once again for all your help.. If i remember I will post a picture of them when i get them at the end of the month

Back
Top Bottom