Appenzeller Spitzhauben

Thank you. What age should I be able to tell the gender?
Well that one took me a long time. At 6 weeks they still looked mostly alike! Only very subtle differences that I could have missed if I didn't play with them daily. The biggest clue = the males had tiny red wattles.

These 2 were male: (click to enlarge)

These 2 were female.

The 4th chick with the largest crest was the hardest for me to sex.

Since I wasn't positive, I held on to them for a while. By 8-10 weeks, I was positive of my former predictions....
male:

female:

Anyone got a pic of what a chamois chick looks like when very wee ??? I think I may have one from a Silver Hen from Phodora :) It laid the egg on the way home and I said - what the heck - and a broody hatched it out - but it was in with other eggs so I am not positive it is from the spiz egg.

Chamois is quite possible bc your girl was in with a chamois roo. If the chick is chamois, she should be a pullet d/t the gold/silver sex linkage. Below is a pic showing the different colors as chicks:

chamois in the middle & on the left, second from the left is silver, and on the right is a gold spangled chick.

Oh - total bonus for me - It is a chamois ! How cool ... Emily is doing just fine - in with the main flock and enjoying her new home :) So glad I figured - what the heck - and tossed that egg in .... :) he he Made my day.

Oh - total bonus for me - It is a chamois ! How cool ... Emily is doing just fine - in with the main flock and enjoying her new home :) So glad I figured - what the heck - and tossed that egg in .... :) he he Made my day.
Very, very lucky! I've only seen the silver in person. You're going to have a beautiful chicken!

The momma to this new peep is a lovely Silver Spitz - and sweet personality and a looker ... she was "just" an addition to my silver flock .... so the chamois is not going to be in my spitz breeding program - just some more COOL eye candy for my mixed flock - since I am only concentrating on silvers ... but still - I love that color ..... Man I wish I could set up about 50 different breeds ... ha ha No space .... I guess that is saving me from the chicken fever.

I have plenty of eggs and are NPIP certified and can ship. I have posted some pice of my birds on here ignor the stock photo I was fooled into beliving. They are goIrgeous birds. They are just finishing up their molt but still look beautiful. I'd say I get about 1/2 SQ/ BQ and about 1/2 PQ out of my eggs. They have one of the best hatch rates out of any of my breeds usually.

I have plenty of eggs and are NPIP certified and can ship. I have posted some pice of my birds on here ignor the stock photo I was fooled into beliving. They are goIrgeous birds. They are just finishing up their molt but still look beautiful. I'd say I get about 1/2 SQ/ BQ and about 1/2 PQ out of my eggs. They have one of the best hatch rates out of any of my breeds usually.

What do SQ/BQ and PQ mean?

Back
Top Bottom