Appenzeller Spitzhauben

I've had them for a few years. they are a nice breed, very gorgeous, they are also very hardy. But the ones i have are very flighty and skittish, and some of the roosters where very aggressive. Don't worry though I've had friendly rooster too. The hens are quite sweet once you catch them. over all they are an amazing breed, flighty, but still great!

Our Silver were never very aggressive or to flighty but our Gold and Chamois are.

Hello, I'm thinking about breeding my Chamois Appenzeller Spitzhauben with either my Gold Pencilled Hamburg Rooster or my Silver Spangled Hamburg Rooster, which breeding pair would be better and how would the chicks turn out with each pair?

Why do you want to breed to a Hamburg? The two breeds are not anything alike.....

This is my fist time raising Spitzhauben. The group I have are now roughly 11weeks old they are silver spangled. I Love Love Love them, so far that is. I hear they are very active, flighty and like to sleep in the trees. I am hoping that as they grow that they continue to grow on me. I am rehoming my entire bantam flock to make space for my Spitz. I have 1 cockerel and 4 pullets and they are so lovely, they came from a breeder not hatchery. If I continue to love them then next year I may add a few more pullets to the flock.

Does any one have any opinions on the Spitz Cock birds. I only keep well mannered roosters here as I have kids and many nieces and nephews. He is a good boy so far but I guess time will tell.

There are many threads to read on the Spitzhauben, I am looking forward to learning more about them.

I will add some updated pics of my flock soon.

Our Spitz are a little aggressive but not horrible. I think if they had more space they might be milder. We keep them in a coop with an attached completely inclosed run that I move about once a week. They are free ranging machines and remove every blade of grass or weed in just a few days.

Just brought 4 appenzellers, best looking birds I have ever had!

The Spitzhaubens are usually compared to polish , but besides a top not that ends the comparison . they lay many more eggs and have a high fertility rate, they are very friendly
and not flighty like many polish ,they are excellent free range ,are wary of predators
and can fly well and run very fast , they are intelligent and are not aggressive , becoming
friendly to their caretaker ,most in U.S.A. have bad crest on their head it should be feathers pointed forward and not a puffy crest like a polish , they are very cold hardy and a
beautiful flashy chicken that carries itself like an aristocrat,they do well with confinement
but love to run . i have been lucky to acquire some rare colors . I have a trio of Chamios Spitzes they are reverse spangle in that the spots are white instead of black and their body is buff instead of white , i also have the silver spangles and creams , im hatching eggs now so wish me luck

My 2 year old Spitz roo has never attempted to flog me or my family , he will run from a fight which is great , because he is so pretty and NO one can catch him

Back
Top Bottom