Appenzeller Spitzhauben

I have a ? about the "Spitz" Mine all have black feathers on top, but most pics show white feathers. Mine are 6-7 weeks old, so do they change color as they age?

PS- We got a lot of rain & the chickens got all wet. The Spitz looked like they had gel in their hair. A Funny Sight!

So what are the difference between these and the Appenzeller Spitzhauben that Greenfire Farms sell? Their price is $59 per chick so compared to the $3.50 listed on the co-op price sheet, is it just different breeder quality, i.e. the Greenfire name?

@Faraday40Yes, crest color changes significantly as the birds mature. I'd expect the crests on ur birds to lighten up quite a bit.

@muskratpLike any breed, there is variation in quality and blood lines. Marans chicks, for example sell at several different price points. Greenfire imports most of their stock, so that increases the cost of their chicks. Their spitzes are a little smaller, but have very nice crests and spangles. On the other end, a $3.50 hatchery bird is produced in larger numbers, may have unknown or possibly mixed bloodlines, and will probably have a very polish-like crest. I heard Ideal has done some recent importing of spitz and that their quality is increasing. Several breeders out there working on selectively breeding towards the standards should have chicks priced somewhere between.

Unless you (Sweet Coastal on pg. 9) live in Switzerland (according to your location data you live in the US) then these birds are not yours. The name of the YouTube video in which these fine birds are displayed is "Appenzeller Spitzhauben silber-schwarzgetupft, Exposition Cantonale Grangeneuve 2013." Your image comes from about 1 minute and 26 seconds into the video.
Well I guess I was lied to also. This was the original picture I was given when I purchased my birds. I had no reason to question it as they look like my birds minus the legbands. I did question her on this and she said she removed them. I thought it was a great pic and they were my birds so why not use it. I also always include multiple pictures of my birds growouts and chicks. I was is no way trying to deceive anyone and it's very hurtful when I was just a victim of a lie. I of course will not longer use this picture and have contacted the seller. I attached the add I purchased from so you do t accuse my of lying again and pics of my birds. .
[/IMG]

Unless you (Sweet Coastal on pg. 9) live in Switzerland (according to your location data you live in the US) then these birds are not yours. The name of the YouTube video in which these fine birds are displayed is "Appenzeller Spitzhauben silber-schwarzgetupft, Exposition Cantonale Grangeneuve 2013." Your image comes from about 1 minute and 26 seconds into the video.
Here was the add I purchased them from

Wow  ....   

:confused:

Very disheartening ... I have used stock photo before when someone wanted to see specifics about the coloring - but I clearly labeled it as a Spitz Club photo and NOT mine !  

Now one has to wonder about the peeps too ....   or did you buy that exact pair and have them shipped from Europe ?   

Please see my other response. I was completely lied to by the seller. I had no clue those were not my birds. I attached the posting from when I purchased along with actual pics I took of them.

I posted this on the other thread, but thought I'd put it here too.

I made a quick video of my chicks today. This is how I get them back & forth from the chicken tractor to the coop. It only took them a few days to learn the routine. In the beginning they walked with me, but now they do it mostly by themselves. By next week, they'll all be inside awaiting a treat before I even get 1/2 way. The Spitzhaubens were the 1st to catch on & help lead the others.

Here are a few pics of my female with the good crest.

Her tail is normally up. She was acting shy in this pic.

SweetCoastal your birds are beautiful :)

I have 2 silver and 3 Gold
I'm so hoping to have gender diversity in the group. I think only one is male though! My gold guy.

I don't know what happens if he crosses with silver...brassy silver? Sex link chicks?

Well definitely not standard...

Back
Top Bottom