Appenzeller Spitzhauben

yankeemtfarm

Songster
12 Years
Sep 13, 2007
Gettysburg,Pa
I found this flyer at the local co-op , the breeder is only a few miles from me . I did not know they were there.
Maybe somebody here as heard of them? Maybe even somebody here on BYC?

What i want to know about is the Appenzeller Spitzhauben, anybody have them?

I am thinking about getting a few chicks and would like to see pictures and hear any information on them.

BA

LexmarkAIOScan2.jpg

The hatchery bred Spitzhaubens are very poor example of the breed. It does not look like the one in the pic. I got my Spitz from Ideal and they were too small and too much white with very little spangles or improper spangles.

I got some from OKCarla's and they are much bigger and beautiful! If you want some better specimens than the hatchery, OKCarla's has some on Eggbid and AllenWranch and Debra has some too. Believe it or not, we got a long ways in improving the breed because alot of the Spitz here in US are inbred by several generations. They have been around since the 50's when one gentleman raised them by importation of eggs. We certainly need new blood but one of these days we will get some folks to import some new Spitz chickens into the US.

They are certainly beautiful birds! Enjoy them as much as I do!

I had them years ago. Nice breed. Active, but maybe not quite as flighty as hamburgs. Good layers. I like the crest, as it's different from all of the other crested breeds, and not so large as to restrict vision and make them an easy target for picking from other breeds, in mixed flocks. It's small size and shape doesn't get as dirty as other breeds either, and so doesn't require special watering set ups to keep it clean. New blood would be very easy to add in this country, with an infusion from Silver Spangled Hamburgs.

I don't know why they have never been worked with seriously, nor presented for recognition to the APA or ABA.

I just got some the other day. Only two lil chickies.. I can't wait to see how they turn out. I got mine from a local breeder so I don't know how their coloring will be.

The hatchery bred Spitzhaubens are very poor example of the breed. It does not look like the one in the pic. I got my Spitz from Ideal and they were too small and too much white with very little spangles or improper spangles.

I got some from OKCarla's and they are much bigger and beautiful! If you want some better specimens than the hatchery, OKCarla's has some on Eggbid and AllenWranch and Debra has some too. Believe it or not, we got a long ways in improving the breed because alot of the Spitz here in US are inbred by several generations. They have been around since the 50's when one gentleman raised them by importation of eggs. We certainly need new blood but one of these days we will get some folks to import some new Spitz chickens into the US.

They are certainly beautiful birds! Enjoy them as much as I do!
I also recommend Carla for spitzhaubens.... she has great birds! truly gorgeous. The spitzhauben is said to be a descendent mix of the Brabanter, La Fleche and crevecouer. they are a bird of european descent, swiss, and they are known for there unique spangling and comb....... a great bird. big, and require lots of space.

I also recommend Carla for spitzhaubens.... she has great birds! truly gorgeous. The spitzhauben is said to be a descendent mix of the Brabanter, La Fleche and crevecouer. they are a bird of european descent, swiss, and they are known for there unique spangling and comb....... a great bird. big, and require lots of space.

Carla Allen, AKA AllenWranch that is!

Back
Top Bottom