Appenzeller Spitzhauben

I recently (well three weeks ago) got some from GF....colors are pure white, white with black, gray and black (I don't know the correct color names yet)...they are being raised by a Silkie....they just started to get their top notches. At what age I tell the roo from the hens....the top notch makes it difficult!
Diane

Around six weeks of age, the males will start developing wattles and little V combs. That is the bet way to tell. Sometimes the crest will denote sec, but not always. Wattles are the best clue.
The females will also develop wattles, but a lot later than the guys.

I have about 4 different color varieties from GFF- white with orange spots, black with brown spots, white with blue spots, and black. Would you want to separate the colors or breed them together? I know in some pics GFF has several colors together and the colors I have are not listed on the site.

Ok, dumb question....spouse asked if this is a worthwhile breed to keep.....meaning if we breed/sell egg/chicks...is there a market for them.....I got them because they look cute but he is looking at the other aspects......

Ok, dumb question....spouse asked if this is a worthwhile breed to keep.....meaning if we breed/sell egg/chicks...is there a market for them.....I got them because they look cute but he is looking at the other aspects......
The market is larger for Swedish Flower Hens. Also consider where you get them. Most hatchery stock are mixed with Polish and do not have the correct crest. Yes there is a market or else they would be extinct but its a small one.

I think it depends on your location. I am in East Tn- I am not a spitzhauben enthusiast but, around here anything polish sells. I have several varieties from GFF- got all of them in assortments from GFF- they had excess hatches and sent me leftovers. Really cute little guys and I already have customer wanting them. Obviously they didn't do so well for Greenfire since they are selling off all stock.

Back
Top Bottom