1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

apple cider vinegar in water.?? lother egg laying tricks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by bahamas, Apr 4, 2010.

1. bahamas

bahamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    i've read some people put vinegar in their chickjens water.does this help with laying eggs can i add thinks like milk and freshly juiced vegetable juice to my water ( of course changes daily ) / Wjat tricks do u recommend for chicks pullets and cock and hens stages of development and how does it affect the way they act and lay.??[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]:bow

2. Twitchy

Twitchy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2008
    I'm new to all this, so maybe I'm wrong, but I thought vinegar was used more to increase the acidity of the water slightly and act as a disinfectant. It can't replace cleaning your waterer, but it can make it last longer between cleanings.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I wouldn't add milk of juice to their water, no matter how often I intended to change it

4. tcmstalcup

tcmstalcup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Texas
    ACV is known as a folk digestive aid. I use it but I put it on feed. I use the raw stuff from the health food store. It doesn't make my hens lay more as much as I believe it improves their over all health which in turn would help them be more productive. I actually started using it on my horses along with flax seed. I do think it helped my old horse with his joints and it is rumored to help keep internal parasites to a minimum. Nothing is proven but folks have been using it a long time and I believe its beneficial.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I use UP/ACV as an immune system booster but I'm not sure if it increases laying. It does seem to clarify the taste of my eggs, decreasing the sulfur smell and taste. Since I've been using it, my regular customers have been raving about the taste of the eggs. Of course, they had no way of knowing that the ACV was the only difference to their diet...they just commented on how different my eggs taste compared to other farm eggs.

One customer stated that she hasn't been able to eat eggs without stomach upset since she was young but can eat my eggs without problems. Go figure! [​IMG]

6. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    Quote:How much.....?? [​IMG]

ON

7. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I tried to add ACV this weekend to my chickens water - - - they wouldn't touch it ! ! ! [​IMG]

I've tried to feed mine yogurt too - - they wouldn't touch it either !!

They do like fresh caught GRASSHOPPERS, Collards, and Cilantro [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good luck with that vinegar thing. I tried it two days in a row.
    I figured after the first day, that I should try just a bit of it and work them up to it - - NO GO !

8. DragonFeathers

DragonFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Maryland
    I add 1 TBS. per gallon of water and they love it, more so when it's hot out [​IMG]

9. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I have been using ACV for almost a week now and my birds are doing AWESOME with it.. My turkeys have bulked up my cornish have completly stopped panting, the coturnix feathers just shot in and the layers feathers are just shining.. i dont know if this because of the ACV but I do know it didnt start until I started adding it...

10. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I read somewhere 2 tablespoons per gallon - that's what I use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by