Apple Cider Vinegar

Is the ACV safe for the chicken if only change the water once every 40 days? I only want to replace or clean when empty.

Yes.

The correct amount to use for chickens is one tablespoon per gallon of water. It has all of the benefits mentioned in the prior post.
What the big stores sell as "Apple Cider Vinegar" is nothing but white vinegar with food coloring added. You must use organic
ACV to get the benefits noted. I use Braggs Organic ACV which I found in the health food section of Kroger.
As far as I have been able to tell, there are no harmful effects whatsoever. But if you overdose you might get some funny tasting
eggs. (The chickens won't drink the water if too much vinegar is added).

All I can buy locally is plain old Heinz ACV. The label says it is made from apple juice and water, no mention of artificial colors or anything else like that. I will get some of the other kind but first need to find it. Also since we will be eating the eggs I have to make sure the other kind is completely safe for my dd with food allergies. I emailed Bragg's but they never replied.

ACV is more than white vinegar and color. If sold as ACV, it has to be made from apples. White vinegar can be made from avariety of other friuts. What makes the difference is that most ACV bought in the store is PASTURIZED. This kills any beneficial enzymes you may want. It doesn't have to be "organic" which would entail only naturally (no pesticide) apples. You just need to make sure that it has not been pasturized. A good indication of this is that there is "mother" in it which appears as a small amount of solids in settled in the bottom. Pasturized ACV is not harmful, but you won't get full benefits. It will still keep the water from getting slimey or growing alge because of the acidity in the vinegar which is not likes by little alge and slime critters. I get mine from a local orchard that makes non-pasturized cider in the fall, and like other orchards, turns the blemished or reject apples into ACV. The end, my fingers are tired.
tongue.png

We use it with all of our animals and have very good results. The ACV kills bacteria, so be sure to encourage good bacteria growth after use. I take a break in between uses....

Quote:
I got mine at a GNC store, I'm sure it's available at many other places also. But I would get the Bragg's and not mess with the others, if you're going to do it, then do it right, don't half-ass it, lol!!!
smile.png

83761_braggs_acv.jpg

For those of you who give ACV to your chickens, is it an everyday thing, or is it like a once a month for a few days thing? Also if I start, do I have to continue to use it from now on, or can I use it as a maintenance thing?

Back
Top Bottom