April 2017 chicks, who will lay first contest...

Pics
How long have they been layin? Jus wonderin how long it takes them to make reg sized eggs instead of egglets. :).

Oh that carton has both pullet and year old hen eggs in it. I only have 10 chickens laying at the moment.

I think it depends really. I have some that are a year old and lay medium-large eggs depending on the day.
My others started laying large eggs about a month or 2 after they started laying.

How long have they been layin? Jus wonderin how long it takes them to make r
I don't remember first eggs much smaller for very long, from the hens I've had. But my Speckled Sussex hen has always laid smaller eggs. However, she lays more than anyone else. She's over a year old now. Here are eggs today from my year old Barred Rock hen, the Speckled Sussex hen, and the last one is yesterday's from the Sebright pullet. You can see the Sussex size is in between. I used to have a Buff Orpington and hers were always small like that too. It's useful to have smaller 123sizes.jpg sizes, especially when you are cooking for 2.

I don't remember first eggs much smaller for very long, from the hens I've had. But my Speckled Sussex hen has always laid smaller eggs. However, she lays more than anyone else. She's over a year old now. Here are eggs today from my year old Barred Rock hen, the Speckled Sussex hen, and the last one is yesterday's from the Sebright pullet. You can see the Sussex size is in between. I used to have a Buff Orpington and hers were always small like that too. It's useful to have smallerView attachment 1116263 sizes, especially when you are cooking for 2.

The middle is about what I'm getting from most of my year old chickens. I think some size is also connected by breed. Like my bantams will never lay a monster size egg like your BR did. And my one EE is a huge bird and that's why her first egg was so big compared to the rest.

Back
Top Bottom