April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
Ok here’s a full Marans hatch update. 4 hatched yesterday and 2 more hatched overnight. I figured that was the end of it. Especially since I have such bad luck with shipped eggs I was super happy with 6. Once I moved them out, I rolled all the eggs that were left over to see if I missed any pips. I found one that had pipped and died and another that had pipped and was still alive! It really fought all day and finally just made it out with a tiny bit of help with the zip because it kind of busted the side of the egg open instead of zipping and was stuck. So now I’m at 7! Decided to investigate on the rest because I want to set eggs in this bator so no point letting dead eggs just sit in there. 2 I saw no movement on at all upon candling so I opened up the air cells and of course both are still alive in there. Not quite ready to come out. Neither have pipped internally. One I can see the beak and the other I can’t. Wondering if I should very carefully try to cut the membrane over the beak between veins. 2 eggs I literally felt movement in when I picked them up so I just put safety holes in those. And the last egg I didn’t see movement in but my daughter needed me so I just put a safety hole in it for now. So far I’m loving the chicks that have hatched. 5 are perfect with feathered legs, 1 is clean legged and 1 has webbed/fused outer toes. This is my second Marans hatched out this year with foot deformities. I called the first one because it had other issues as well, but this one I’ll keep but not breed. It seems to be getting around fine. Pic of my incubator situation below, as well as the weird little feet!
View attachment 2075500
View attachment 2075501
Great news!
:fl:fl:fl for the remaining cheeps!

Ok here’s a full Marans hatch update. 4 hatched yesterday and 2 more hatched overnight. I figured that was the end of it. Especially since I have such bad luck with shipped eggs I was super happy with 6. Once I moved them out, I rolled all the eggs that were left over to see if I missed any pips. I found one that had pipped and died and another that had pipped and was still alive! It really fought all day and finally just made it out with a tiny bit of help with the zip because it kind of busted the side of the egg open instead of zipping and was stuck. So now I’m at 7! Decided to investigate on the rest because I want to set eggs in this bator so no point letting dead eggs just sit in there. 2 I saw no movement on at all upon candling so I opened up the air cells and of course both are still alive in there. Not quite ready to come out. Neither have pipped internally. One I can see the beak and the other I can’t. Wondering if I should very carefully try to cut the membrane over the beak between veins. 2 eggs I literally felt movement in when I picked them up so I just put safety holes in those. And the last egg I didn’t see movement in but my daughter needed me so I just put a safety hole in it for now. So far I’m loving the chicks that have hatched. 5 are perfect with feathered legs, 1 is clean legged and 1 has webbed/fused outer toes. This is my second Marans hatched out this year with foot deformities. I called the first one because it had other issues as well, but this one I’ll keep but not breed. It seems to be getting around fine. Pic of my incubator situation below, as well as the weird little feet!
View attachment 2075500
View attachment 2075501

WOW! What an eventful hatch! I hope you get a couple more at least! Marans are one of the breeds that seem to be more prone to the webbed feet. I had never even heard about it until my friend had one last year. She couldn't stomach the idea of home surgery on hers so she allowed him to grow out with the webbing and even though his was a severe case he was completely mobile and fine.

Thank you!!! I have a horrible track record with assists on eggs that didn’t pip themselves, so I’m not holding out too much hope.

I don't actually agree with you. You did an incredible job on your assist last time. The chick that you saved just happened to have genetic issues unrelated to your assist. You should at least give yourself some credit for how well you did!

Thank you!!! I have a horrible track record with assists on eggs that didn’t pip themselves, so I’m not holding out too much hope.
A good hatch as it is! Hopefully the others are just slow pokes, lol. :fl

I moved my March babies outside today. The older ones have a lamp, the younger ones have the brooder plate. Now I have plenty of time to clean and sanitize my indoor brooders for the EHAL babies!

I don't actually agree with you. You did an incredible job on your assist last time. The chick that you saved just happened to have genetic issues unrelated to your assist. You should at least give yourself some credit for how well you did!

Well thank you. You’re so kind and have been so helpful. That one actually pipped on his own tho. I’ve only done 3 assist thus far on eggs that didn’t pip and those didn’t make it out. Maybe I was lucky they didn’t, because having to cull that one broke my heart!

Hey - would you try to break the membrane near the beak on the one I can see?

WOW! What an eventful hatch! I hope you get a couple more at least! Marans are one of the breeds that seem to be more prone to the webbed feet. I had never even heard about it until my friend had one last year. She couldn't stomach the idea of home surgery on hers so she allowed him to grow out with the webbing and even though his was a severe case he was completely mobile and fine.

This makes me feel so much better. I’d rather not have to snip the webs if I don’t have to.

I have too, it's just early, lol! I candle my eggs before I set them in the incubator because sometimes there are issues that are easier to see when they're illuminated. I actually had an egg that was developing from the crazy summer heat here in Georgia. Days worth of incubation. It actually hatched on day 16.

View attachment 2075342View attachment 2075343
My first thought looking at that 1st picture was "wow, looks like a day 5 egg!"

Well thank you. You’re so kind and have been so helpful. That one actually pipped on his own tho. I’ve only done 3 assist thus far on eggs that didn’t pip and those didn’t make it out. Maybe I was lucky they didn’t, because having to cull that one broke my heart!

Hey - would you try to break the membrane near the beak on the one I can see?

Depends on how heavy the veining is where the beak is but yes, I would. You know I'm not the hands off type though. lol

My first thought looking at that 1st picture was "wow, looks like a day 5 egg!"

Yep! There wasn't even a broody hen. The egg just happened to roll into a more insulated corner in the coop and went unnoticed. It then sat in a carton for somewhere between a few hours to a couple days while my friend finished collecting eggs for me and actually made it to hatch! Little trooper.

Back
Top Bottom