April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
I’m learning I’m not either 😅

Have a q-tip and styptic powder handy just in case you nick a vein so you can apply pressure quickly. Only use the powder if you have no choice because you really don't want it near the beak if avoidable. I have tiny suture scissors that I use for these situations but sometimes pinching the membrane with tweezers to open a small hole is easier. You'll have to determine that.

Have a q-tip and styptic powder handy just in case you nick a vein so you can apply pressure quickly. Only use the powder if you have no choice because you really don't want it near the beak if avoidable. I have tiny suture scissors that I use for these situations but sometimes pinching the membrane with tweezers to open a small hole is easier. You'll have to determine that.

What do you think?
41A3D51A-D139-4C18-9A81-0815AC6117D1.jpeg

Ok here’s a full Marans hatch update. 4 hatched yesterday and 2 more hatched overnight. I figured that was the end of it. Especially since I have such bad luck with shipped eggs I was super happy with 6. Once I moved them out, I rolled all the eggs that were left over to see if I missed any pips. I found one that had pipped and died and another that had pipped and was still alive! It really fought all day and finally just made it out with a tiny bit of help with the zip because it kind of busted the side of the egg open instead of zipping and was stuck. So now I’m at 7! Decided to investigate on the rest because I want to set eggs in this bator so no point letting dead eggs just sit in there. 2 I saw no movement on at all upon candling so I opened up the air cells and of course both are still alive in there. Not quite ready to come out. Neither have pipped internally. One I can see the beak and the other I can’t. Wondering if I should very carefully try to cut the membrane over the beak between veins. 2 eggs I literally felt movement in when I picked them up so I just put safety holes in those. And the last egg I didn’t see movement in but my daughter needed me so I just put a safety hole in it for now. So far I’m loving the chicks that have hatched. 5 are perfect with feathered legs, 1 is clean legged and 1 has webbed/fused outer toes. This is my second Marans hatched out this year with foot deformities. I called the first one because it had other issues as well, but this one I’ll keep but not breed. It seems to be getting around fine. Pic of my incubator situation below, as well as the weird little feet!
View attachment 2075500
View attachment 2075501
Look at those cute little webbed toes!

I would do it. Looks like it may be malpositioned beak over wing.

EDIT: That would also explain why it hasn't pipped if so.

OK. I did it. It seems to have been successful. I decided to open up all the ones I did Safety holes on. One of them was already internally pipped and another I could see the beak so I opened it and it started breathing as well. The last one I opened and it appears I was too late and he had passed. So now I just have this one where I can’t find his head and don’t want to break the membrane yet. Pic below.
6A18AB99-3D72-4128-A67B-85FCCC2E78F3.jpeg

OK. I did it. It seems to have been successful. I decided to open up all the ones I did Safety holes on. One of them was already internally pipped and another I could see the beak so I opened it and it started breathing as well. The last one I opened and it appears I was too late and he had passed. So now I just have this one where I can’t find his head and don’t want to break the membrane yet. Pic below. View attachment 2075665

That's great that you were able to help a few already! Keep that close at heart while dealing with the one in the image...You do end up with some seriously difficult malpositions! You have like the fast track to "how to handle every malposition". At first glance I can't tell where the head is on this one either...

Hey guys! I'm jumping in here. I have barnyard mix eggs to hatch on April 10th (ish) with a couple of bantam cochin in there. I started with 42 and they were all fertile but over the hatch I've taken out 10. There's two I absolutely have no idea what's going on. I need a better flashlight. I've had two spikes in my incubator where the temp hit over 40 C. The first time not sure how long it did it for but the second time was only about 20 minutes just recently.

I can't wait until hatch day!

@blackandtan Here you go. I hadn't been incubating very long when I discovered this trick but it's still a method I use to this day on dark eggs! https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ke-this-day-5-candling.1200634/#post-19010062
Thanks that’s awesome!
I looked at your marans pics and mine definitely look like egg #1, I did see that layering effect. For now I am assuming them all to be fertile based on the fact that all the ones that I CAN check clearly are...time will tell!!

Hey guys! I'm jumping in here. I have barnyard mix eggs to hatch on April 10th (ish) with a couple of bantam cochin in there. I started with 42 and they were all fertile but over the hatch I've taken out 10. There's two I absolutely have no idea what's going on. I need a better flashlight. I've had two spikes in my incubator where the temp hit over 40 C. The first time not sure how long it did it for but the second time was only about 20 minutes just recently.

I can't wait until hatch day!

Welcome! What colored egg mix do you have? Good luck on your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom