April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
Thank you, that would be great
This video does a good job showing a fully detached aircell. It rolls/floats to the highest point of the egg. Just like a level.

If the air cell is ok, or just saddled, and the sloshing is in the rest of the egg the yolk and albumen) that's when I'd watch it closely. When an egg shifts from "lava lamp" interior to a less viscous "water bottle" interior and you have no obvious embryo it's likely a bad egg.

You should elbow your way back in immediately! That's the best part of hatching!!
Lol. I would if my 2 & 5 yr old hadn't decided I looked like the best place to take a nap on. I'll sneak back in when I hear more chirps. I'm trying not to get to too excited and attached just in case. Secretly I feel like dr. Frankenstein saying "it's alive!"

The hatch is complete and while the ending was a bit traumatizing, I do have 1 Frosted Legbar, 1 Cream Legbar (male), and 7 Marans to love on!

Considering I started with 24 eggs this was quite a deplorable hatch for me. The Legbar roo is still quite young and this was his first hatch so I'm not too terribly surprised that only a few were fertilized and we still were able to confirm that he does indeed have the Frosted gene like I thought!
So here are my final stats for this hatch:

7th hatch of 2020 - 4/4/20: 64% (started with 24, 10 infertile, 5 quitters, 9 live chicks) Version 2 Nurture Right, lockdown in IncuView.

Breakdown by breed:
- 12 Marans (1 infertile, 4 quitters, 7 live chicks)
- 3 of the quitter Marans were late quitters, malpositioned & severely deformed, were not colored like Marans. I suspect a different rooster fertilized.​

- 12 Crested Cream Legbars (9 infertile, 1 quitter, 2 live chicks)

I didn't take nearly as many hatching pictures as I normally do so I don't have much to share but I'm going to take a break and allow the chicks to relax as well and I'll share some cute pictures of the fluffy babies later. Sneak peak of the little Frosted Legbar.

4-4-20 (6).JPG

Back
Top Bottom