April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
I kind of fell off this hatch a long but I’m hopping back on as my hatch day approaches! I have 17 BBS Ameraucana eggs hatching on April first. Quickly followed with some more Black Ameraucanas and Black Copper Marans and a lone Olive Egger if all goes well. I need to candle my Marans eggs, as one was oozing today and I’m so glad I caught it before the sucker blew. That’s the first time I’ve dealt with a bad egg. 🤢
View attachment 2063224

Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!
Those are some wicked dark Maran eggs! Where did you get them?!

I pulled 5 clears from the incubator last night. My duck eggs are doing great.

I have a weird one though. It has no air cell 🤷🏼‍♀️ I don't know what to do with it but the duckling is alive so I don't want to pull it if it is still living.
I’ve got a weird one too. Intact air cell where it should be but with an additional air bubble moving around the entire egg. It has clear veining on day 4 so I’m leaving it. Not sure what to expect.

My ducks pool isn't ever that clean, not even from the moment it's refilled, because when I dump it it has about 6 inches of "duck sludge" in the bottom, nasty stuff.
I pulled 5 clears from the incubator last night. My duck eggs are doing great.

I have a weird one though. It has no air cell 🤷🏼‍♀️ I don't know what to do with it but the duckling is alive so I don't want to pull it if it is still living.
1 of my duck eggs has a detached air cell, I think it must be the egg that I dropped from the height of the 4ft fence & it just "thumped" on to the ground. It's alive though so it stays.
I thought I'd join in here since I've got 2 batches of duck eggs (32 total, Runner & Rouen drakes with Runner & Welsh Harlequin ducks) and some Buttons in my bators, plus some chicken & guinea eggs under a couple of my broodies (I've already had 3 hens hatch out 26 chicks/keets).
20200327_155841.jpg
20200327_155827.jpg
20200330_130822.jpg
15855941013047479731925097164053.jpg

Hello all, my first hatch ever was in March it didn’t go so great and I made a lot of beginner mistakes, but hopefully this time around I make some improvements!
I set 35 silkie eggs. I am on day 7. I just candled and I weighed all of the eggs. The majority are 38g and 39g. Out of my 35 I have 30 developing and 2 maybes. I think one has a blood ring already... I think that’s the one my fiancé banged by mistake :barnie.
Im trying to keep my humidity at 40-50, I think my problem with the last hatch was keeping my humidity too low. I’m hopeful this time and hopefully more organized lol !! Good luck everyone! ❤
Oh and I forgot I have my first broody it’s actually two but one isn’t as committed to her job as the other one. I’m going to have silkies coming out of my ears lol.

ps. Does anyone have the list of the humidity percentages that should be lost according to the day? I think someone sent it in the March hatch along but I can’t find it.

My ducks pool isn't ever that clean, not even from the moment it's refilled, because when I dump it it has about 6 inches of "duck sludge" in the bottom, nasty stuff.

1 of my duck eggs has a detached air cell, I think it must be the egg that I dropped from the height of the 4ft fence & it just "thumped" on to the ground. It's alive though so it stays.
I thought I'd join in here since I've got 2 batches of duck eggs (32 total, Runner & Rouen drakes with Runner & Welsh Harlequin ducks) and some Buttons in my bators, plus some chicken & guinea eggs under a couple of my broodies (I've already had 3 hens hatch out 26 chicks/keets).
View attachment 2068145View attachment 2068147View attachment 2068148View attachment 2068150
I’ve seen my girls take mouth fulls of dirt and throw it in the pool the second I clean it and fill it back up haha they love that muck!

Hello everyone! I am joining your hatch-a-long. I won my first incubator ever and it's coming on Wednesday. It's a brinsea mini advance II. Seems pretty straightforward... is there anything particular I should know about it? I'm super nervous to try hatching eggs in an incubator- I've always given them to the broodies! I won 8 eggs along with it that will be a mix of some colorful egg layers it sounds like. I am picking them up - so not shipped. Yay! I said I was done for the year with hatches, but if you win a contest, you win a contest! :lol: The eggs are actually from Highland Homestead :) I might have many questions to ask you experts here! :oops:

Should I leave the incubator to sit for awhile before I start it up? Would you recommend buying a hygrometer with this incubator and which kind? The incubator holds 7 eggs it says, but I'm getting 8. Can I stick the extra one in there somewhere?

I'm excited to see all your hatches! I'll attach some pictures of my "last" chicks I bought a few days ago. Supposedly a Rhode Island Blue, Sapphire Gem Splash, and a Barred Rock. Never heard of the first two before.

Attachments

• LayerPullets.jpg
    LayerPullets.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Loretta.jpg
    Loretta.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Louise.jpg
    Louise.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Lucy.jpg
    Lucy.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 3
Hello all, my first hatch ever was in March it didn’t go so great and I made a lot of beginner mistakes, but hopefully this time around I make some improvements!
I set 35 silkie eggs. I am on day 7. I just candled and I weighed all of the eggs. The majority are 38g and 39g. Out of my 35 I have 30 developing and 2 maybes. I think one has a blood ring already... I think that’s the one my fiancé banged by mistake :barnie.
Im trying to keep my humidity at 40-50, I think my problem with the last hatch was keeping my humidity too low. I’m hopeful this time and hopefully more organized lol !! Good luck everyone! ❤
Oh and I forgot I have my first broody it’s actually two but one isn’t as committed to her job as the other one. I’m going to have silkies coming out of my ears lol.

ps. Does anyone have the list of the humidity percentages that should be lost according to the day? I think someone sent it in the March hatch along but I can’t find it.

I think it’s supposed to be 11-13% over the course of 18 days, so that’s between .61-.72% per day. And definitely do the method of averaging the total weight and the weight loss across the whole group. Don’t worry about each egg losing the exact amount it should - make sure the group as a whole is on target. I didn’t realize that that first time I weighed eggs and drove myself insane because my Marans eggs weren’t losing enough and my Ameraucana eggs too much so eventually I had to find a middle ground.

Hello everyone! I am joining your hatch-a-long. I won my first incubator ever and it's coming on Wednesday. It's a brinsea mini advance II. Seems pretty straightforward... is there anything particular I should know about it? I'm super nervous to try hatching eggs in an incubator- I've always given them to the broodies! I won 8 eggs along with it that will be a mix of some colorful egg layers it sounds like. I am picking them up - so not shipped. Yay! I said I was done for the year with hatches, but if you win a contest, you win a contest! :lol: The eggs are actually from Highland Homestead :) I might have many questions to ask you experts here! :oops:

Should I leave the incubator to sit for awhile before I start it up? Would you recommend buying a hygrometer with this incubator and which kind? The incubator holds 7 eggs it says, but I'm getting 8. Can I stick the extra one in there somewhere?

I'm excited to see all your hatches! I'll attach some pictures of my "last" chicks I bought a few days ago. Supposedly a Rhode Island Blue, Sapphire Gem Splash, and a Barred Rock. Never heard of the first two before.

Oooh! I saw the winners announced today! So happy for you! I think we follow each other on Instagram. ❤️

Back
Top Bottom