April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
Agh congratulations on winning that! As soon as I read "won an incubator," I was like oh man I bet they won the Highland Homestead give away 😂. I was so hoping to win the hatching egg prize! Maybe next time.

It looks like everyone has pretty much answered your questions about the Brinsea. I am on my second hatch with one and so far I like it, although I had more DIS eggs than hatched eggs with it in my first go. No idea why, but I dont think it was the incubator's fault.

I want to follow anybody here that is on instagram! I'm (at)tapiolahomestead . Tell me your insta handle and I'll follow you! ❤

For the turning angle, I just watch to make sure the egg is turning from one side to the other completely or nearly completely (I mark one side with an x and the other with an o), and adjust the angle accordingly. If the egg isn't turning at all, try switching which direction the fat side is facing (out or towards the center).

Do you follow Blackberry Hill Farm on instagram? She posted this cool looking hygrometer the other day and I'm considering getting one.
View attachment 2070328
@honeymintshelfco on Instagram! Mines mostly a business site. But so you don’t think some random is following you 😂

The packing was on point! Double boxed and the eggs were in one of those foam mailers meant for shipping eggs. Still had some rough air cells, but since 13 of 16 eggs shipped are developing I’m super pleased. I can’t wait to see how many hatch. I’ve had such bad luck with Marans this year, that I’ll be happy with 4 or 5. 😅 My only gripe is that the eggs were really dirty, hence why that one probably started oozing, but so far so good with the rest.
Any idea what’s preferred for wonky air cells in the beginning? Higher or lower humidity?

I posted a thread about this little cutie from a barnyard mix auction. It was the only one to hatch from that dozen. Supposedly a Sebright hen/booted bearded Bantam Mille Fleur Roo. Dark clean, slate legs and 5 toes. 18 days old.

20200330_211800.jpg

Hi all! Three chickies have hatched as of this morning. But I think one may be having an issue. I say “I think” because the incubator is small, so I can’t tell if the height is the issue or if indeed the chick is sick.

I’ve heard of star gazing and wry neck and I’m not sure if they’re one in the same, but that’s what may be going on.

Is this treatable?

Woke up to 3 more babies. 5 total now.
Hi all! Three chickies have hatched as of this morning. But I think one may be having an issue. I say “I think” because the incubator is small, so I can’t tell if the height is the issue or if indeed the chick is sick.

I’ve heard of star gazing and wry neck and I’m not sure if they’re one in the same, but that’s what may be going on.

Is this treatable?

What are the symptoms you’re seeing? Yes, wry neck is treatable. I’ll let someone more knowledgeable chime in on how though, as I’ve never had to do it.

Is this treatable?

Wry neck is often caused by a vitamin deficiency or an injury so yes, it can be treated. I would start with a vitamin supplement and if it's bad the chick won't be able to drink on it's own so you'll have to carefully put droplets on the side of it's beak so it can swallow on it's own. If you force it to drink they aspirate easily so it's better to slowly do the droplets with a dropper or small syringe. Nutridrench for poultry, Poultry Cell by Rooster Booster, or Polyvisol WITHOUT iron (an infant liquid multivitamin) are all good options to treat for wry neck. Do you have any of those?

Back
Top Bottom