April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
Thought I’d join y’all. Now to see if I can keep up with 2 hatch alongs. I’ve got 34 eggs in the EHAL. One of my Ameraucana’s decided to go broody. She’s on 7 eggs, 3 Easter eggers and 4 silkie. Hope she has a good hatch. Also hoping people will want to buy some chicks. Once the 2 incubators are freed up from the EHAL, my other 2 kids want to take the incubators to their homes and hatch babies with their kids.

View attachment 2072407View attachment 2072407

Welcome! Your broody hen has beautiful coloration!

Two Silkies now!
View attachment 2072405View attachment 2072408

And one little splay-leg Brahma in a coffee cup

View attachment 2072410
When s/he first hatched, I thought its little foot was twisted around backward. It's better now. I think this was a malpositioning thing rather than a slip-and-fall. Now the foot looks normal. I'm hopeful this little one will be okay. 🙏

Look at that pile of fluff! :love I'm glad the little chick with the bad foot seems to be doing better!

Ok, so I got the little guy out of the cup and I’m still not thrilled with what I’m seeing. What do you think @CluckNDoodle? You’re my hatching guru lol.
02B9857F-FE3E-4210-8199-AA94A3AAB504.jpeg

Ok, so I got the little guy out of the cup and I’m still not thrilled with what I’m seeing. What do you think @CluckNDoodle? You’re my hatching guru lol. View attachment 2072550

It's a small hernia, since it's already dry looking I don't know that you're going to see it seal as perfectly as you would hope to see but it will likely be just fine as long as it doesn't get an infection from the exposed navel area. My preferred product is chlorhexidine gently dabbed on the navel area at least once daily to help prevent infection because it's not a harsh product and I feel comfortable using it right after hatch. You can also use antibiotic ointment without pain reliever. It still works well for preventing infection but because it's sticky you'll need to watch more closely that debris doesn't get stuck to the area. Because it's small you might not even notice it in a few days but in some cases it will heal over like a black button, this is a good thing once you see it as it will protect the unsealed navel from infection. I would try to keep the brooder extra clean as well.

It's a small hernia, since it's already dry looking I don't know that you're going to see it seal as perfectly as you would hope to see but it will likely be just fine as long as it doesn't get an infection from the exposed navel area. My preferred product is chlorhexidine gently dabbed on the navel area at least once daily to help prevent infection because it's not a harsh product and I feel comfortable using it right after hatch. You can also use antibiotic ointment without pain reliever. It still works well for preventing infection but because it's sticky you'll need to watch more closely that debris doesn't get stuck to the area. Because it's small you might not even notice it in a few days but in some cases it will heal over like a black button, this is a good thing once you see it as it will protect the unsealed navel from infection. I would try to keep the brooder extra clean as well.

Ok thanks so much. Is vetericyn (spelling?) spray an ok thing to use? You’re awesome. Thanks for your help.

Ok thanks so much. Is vetericyn (spelling?) spray an ok thing to use? You’re awesome. Thanks for your help.

Any time! Just a sec, I'm going to go look at the ingredients. It works well for wounds I just want to make sure it's gentle enough for the open navel.

Last edited:

Hypochlorous Acid is the main active ingredient in the spray. It wouldn't be my first choice. If you have the antibiotic ointment I would use that first but if the spray is all you have then you could try it,

Ok, so I got the little guy out of the cup and I’m still not thrilled with what I’m seeing. What do you think @CluckNDoodle? You’re my hatching guru lol. View attachment 2072550
Yours looks pretty good. This is my little guy/girl. You can see the little floss I used to tie it off it’s dried up nicely it was really nasty earlier

Attachments

• 5AC96578-A8F6-49F9-AAA2-F29E86AF4ED6.jpeg
    5AC96578-A8F6-49F9-AAA2-F29E86AF4ED6.jpeg
    393.2 KB · Views: 5
Yours looks pretty good. This is my little guy/girl. You can see the little floss I used to tie it off it’s dried up nicely it was really nasty earlier

Aww, there is a good bit of dried blood. Does the navel appear to be completely closed? I would do the same with your little one and apply chlorhexidine or antibiotic ointment without pain reliever to the navel area and keep the brooder extra clean to help prevent secondary infection.

Back
Top Bottom