April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
Aww, there is a good bit of dried blood. Does the navel appear to be completely closed? I would do the same with your little one and apply chlorhexidine or antibiotic ointment without pain reliever to the navel area and keep the brooder extra clean to help prevent secondary infection.
Yes you’re right about the dried blood. I wish I took a photo earlier to show the comparison. I actually dipped her in a bowl of warm water to wash away the stuck on egg shell as well as some gutsy looking stuff.

It was a very clear umbilical cord. Just like you’d see with an infant. Moist and fluidy. (Sorry) I can’t tell if the hole is closed, although it is definitely scabbed over now. I put some antibiotic ointment on as you suggested and ill hold off on the vetericyn spray. If she makes it through the night I’ll continue the antibiotic ointment until I can verify if the hole is indeed closed and the area looks healed. When I just picked her up there was no moisture coming from that area as opposed to earlier it was weeping.

Yes you’re right about the dried blood. I wish I took a photo earlier to show the comparison. I actually dipped her in a bowl of warm water to wash away the stuck on egg shell as well as some gutsy looking stuff.

It was a very clear umbilical cord. Just like you’d see with an infant. Moist and fluidy. (Sorry) I can’t tell if the hole is closed, although it is definitely scabbed over now. I put some antibiotic ointment on as you suggested and ill hold off on the vetericyn spray. If she makes it through the night I’ll continue the antibiotic ointment until I can verify if the hole is indeed closed and the area looks healed. When I just picked her up there was no moisture coming from that area as opposed to earlier it was weeping.

I hope she pulls through for you! I'm just guessing from your description but if the gutsy looking stuff was greenish and gummy it was probably egg waste. Most of the time it stays in the shell when a chick hatches but occasionally the icky stuff gets stuck to them but doesn't cause an issue as long as it doesn't dry to them. It's just gross looking, lol.

The cord being clear is also a good sign that the little chick finished absorbing most of the blood before it ruptured something. It's not entirely uncommon to see a little bit of bleeding from the navel area after hatch but less desirable to see more than a little spotting.

I have my fingers crossed for both of the peeps! :fl

Hypochlorous Acid is the main active ingredient in the spray. It wouldn't be my first choice. If you have the antibiotic ointment I would use that first but if the spray is all you have then you could try it,

I do have the antibiotic ointment so I’ll go ahead and use that. I have to use shavings in the brooder instead of paper towels because it has been a challenge to get paper products lately. 😫 Hopefully it doesn’t stick to the herneia too badly. I still have the baby in the incubator alone but am hoping to put him with friends soon.

I do have the antibiotic ointment so I’ll go ahead and use that. I have to use shavings in the brooder instead of paper towels because it has been a challenge to get paper products lately. 😫 Hopefully it doesn’t stick to the herneia too badly. I still have the baby in the incubator alone but am hoping to put him with friends soon.

It will be ok! Worst case, you just use a q-tip to brush any shavings off and reapply the ointment. It will be less of an issue once it's little bum is fluffy too. You're very attentive to your chicks, nothing is going to go unnoticed for too long, lol. I just like to make people aware that it can happen when I recommend something. It's gentle and does what's necessary to keep the chick safer from bacteria. :)

Here are some of my little April fools, all fluffed up now. I was able to get all 8 out of their shrink wrap, though one little guy did have a hernia. I've put him in the vet wrap suspenders that Margaretyakoda used, he has improved quite a bit since I left for work today. But redid bandage since it's not quite closed up yet. 20200402_145526.jpg 20200402_145625.jpg

It will be ok! Worst case, you just use a q-tip to brush any shavings off and reapply the ointment. It will be less of an issue once it's little bum is fluffy too. You're very attentive to your chicks, nothing is going to go unnoticed for too long, lol. I just like to make people aware that it can happen when I recommend something. It's gentle and does what's necessary to keep the chick safer from bacteria. :)

Ok thank you! I’ll keep a close eye on him.

Here are some of my little April fools, all fluffed up now. I was able to get all 8 out of their shrink wrap, though one little guy did have a hernia. I've put him in the vet wrap suspenders that Margaretyakoda used, he has improved quite a bit since I left for work today. But redid bandage since it's not quite closed up yet. View attachment 2072839View attachment 2072841

Suspenders? I need to see these suspenders. Lol

Here are some of my little April fools, all fluffed up now. I was able to get all 8 out of their shrink wrap, though one little guy did have a hernia. I've put him in the vet wrap suspenders that Margaretyakoda used, he has improved quite a bit since I left for work today. But redid bandage since it's not quite closed up yet. View attachment 2072839View attachment 2072841
Can you share your bandage suspenders?

Little Ranger is in the brooder with sisters and brothers now. Crossing my fingers that all is well with him. I’m over here anxiously staring at my G-Bear Farms Marans eggs. It’s day 20 and still no pips. I have seen 4 wiggle though. I’ve always had pips the morning of day 20 so I’m slightly panicked. There are 13 eggs in there and I’ll be SO happy if I end up with 5 healthy babies. Crossing my fingers. 🤞🤞🤞
I also left 2 of the Ameraucana eggs in there with them. It’s day 22 for them. I don’t think they will hatch but I didn’t want to toss quite yet.
2E889208-6751-4F20-9464-74E37010C7FC.jpeg

Little Ranger is in the brooder with sisters and brothers now. Crossing my fingers that all is well with him. I’m over here anxiously staring at my G-Bear Farms Marans eggs. It’s day 20 and still no pips. I have seen 4 wiggle though. I’ve always had pips the morning of day 20 so I’m slightly panicked. There are 13 eggs in there and I’ll be SO happy if I end up with 5 healthy babies. Crossing my fingers. 🤞🤞🤞
I also left 2 of the Ameraucana eggs in there with them. It’s day 22 for them. I don’t think they will hatch but I didn’t want to toss quite yet.
View attachment 2072995

In my experience Marans are always slow pokes so I think they're just taking their time. :fl

Back
Top Bottom