April 2020 Hatch-A-Long! All are welcome!

Pics
I do have the antibiotic ointment so I’ll go ahead and use that. I have to use shavings in the brooder instead of paper towels because it has been a challenge to get paper products lately. 😫 Hopefully it doesn’t stick to the herneia too badly. I still have the baby in the incubator alone but am hoping to put him with friends soon.
If you happen across a box of puppy pads, snag 'em. Way better than paper towels imo.

😂 I lived in upstate NY for 6 years and they take their Tom+Jerry’s seriously... as soon as the leaves start to fall, it’s totally acceptable to have one with breakfast/lunch/dinner or all three!

Back to chickens: has your chick eaten yet? All of mine have started eating and somewhat drinking except my umbilical issue chick. Even the final one that hatched after her.
All 7 that made it to lock down hatched. 7/18 for my first experience with shipped eggs.

Since the chick lost a lot of blood it's probably going to be extra sleepy compared to the other chicks. If you have a multivitamin you can offer it for a little boost I would do that too. Just make sure if you give it by dropper or syringe to only put little droplets on the side of its beak and allow it to drink on it's own because they aspirate quite easily if forced.

If you happen across a box of puppy pads, snag 'em. Way better than paper towels imo.

I actually use the puppy wee pads underneath equine pine pellets. The pads make for super easy clean up!

Brooder grid.jpg

The pellets work well for me and cut down on the amount of dust and smell while I keep them indoors. They're really a win win for me.
I think I'm going to try them in the duck brooder tomorrow. I clean them every day and they still always stink up the basement by morning. I love them but I can't wait to get them outside lol.

Back
Top Bottom